Beams

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How often does a beam need to have a support?Its a horizontal roof supporting beam with one above it and below it at about 3 ft intervals Each end of the middle beam goes into brick work and its about 24 ft long. The one above it rests on a wall in the middle too and the one below is completely resting on brick.At the mo there is a stud wall attached along 6.5ft of the middle beam that I want to remove so need to know whether its also a support, I dont want the roof to cave in!! :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
lisap said:
How often does a beam need to have a support?Its a horizontal roof supporting beam with one above it and below it at about 3 ft intervals Each end of the middle beam goes into brick work and its about 24 ft long. The one above it rests on a wall in the middle too and the one below is completely resting on brick.At the mo there is a stud wall attached along 6.5ft of the middle beam that I want to remove so need to know whether its also a support, I dont want the roof to cave in!! :rolleyes:
Broadly speaking your description sounds like a purlin and rafter roof, the middle beam you refer to being the purlin.
There are some diagrams included in the enclosed url, if your roof design is similar to the diags then refer to the associated specs.
Otherwise, as masona suggests, could you provide a diagram?

see this

If the answer to your question isn't in this document then you will need a building surveyor or structural engineer to. see this

Sponsored Links
It does seem to be the roof described in 'renovators' helpful hints!! The purlin (Im learning something new everyday!) is supported either end by going into the brick wall, a distance of approx 24ft. Is this enough support for the length? Theres some stud walling which I want to remove but want to make sure the bits attached to the purlin is just the framework for the stud wall.
Thanks for all your help and the speedy responses!! :D

The answer to your question is in the document I linked to.

You need to look up the dimensions of your purlin on the tables therein and assuming you can find one with the same dimensions read off what the maximum unsupported span is. Then you just need to make sure that the unsupported span does not exceed that limit.

If you can't find you purlin size in the documents you may need a professional to have a look.

The measurements were not on there! Typical! Someone is coming to look at it tommorrow, better to be safe than sorry!
Thanks for your help.

Builders been to look at beams etc and said it should be ok. In builder speak does this mean 'it will be ok' or 'im not commiting'??!! :) :confused: Should I do it or not?????????

How can we know what the builder means? Ask him? Get his answer in writing. When I suggested you get some professional advice I didn't really mean from a builder, I meant from a Chartered Building Surveyor or Structural Engineer. I am the former and whilst I am happy to provide genaral information I am not going to tell you it will be OK or not.

Without visiting your home, and possibly doing calculations, no surveyor or engineer will provide your answer.

Incedentally a photograph would be helpful if only to confirm that this is a purlin, but even with a photograph I wouldn't tell you it is ok or not ok.

A roof constructer and a builder came to look, but they wouldnt put it in writing as I would be doing the job not them! If I use the chart given on measurements, missing out the purlin in question, there is enough support as mine are alot closer than those mentioned in the chart. (They are three foot apart) There is a support at eleven ft and it goes into the wall at the end with the stud wall to be removed.its not suporting floor joists or anything. Unfortunately i cant do a photo as I dont have a digital camera. (dont know how to add a drawing)
Thanks for all your help, I might just revise my plans!!!!!!! :cry:

lisap said:
there is a stud wall attached along 6.5ft of the middle beam that I want to remove so need to know whether its also a support, I dont want the roof to cave in!! :rolleyes:
What are you trying to do ? You shouldn't really take out any purlin.

I don't want to take out the purlin.There is stud walling attached to the purlin and I'm not sure whether the stud wall frame work, that the plasterboard is attached to, (which is also attached to the purlin) is also being used as a support for the purlin. I want to remove the stud wall and framework. So I just needed to know how often the purlin needed supporting to know whether this frame work is important to it . I don't know whether that is clear or not??!! :confused:

lisap said:
I don't know whether that is clear or not??!! :confused:
Yes,I understand it now !

What is the stud wall and frame work resting on at the bottom?

And also not sure why you have a stud wall there ?

The roof slopes down on the side of the house, to the ceiling of the ground floor. The stud wall is in the upstairs bedroom. ( So it rests on the upstairs floor) At the mo the area behind the studwall is just dead space and eventhough it slopes, as it is a small room, I want to open it up to create the feeling of more space. This open space runs the width of the house as part of a cupboard. This part in the bedroom is the only bit behind stud wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back