Partial collar tie removal in a stone buidling

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Hi There,
In the process of purchasing an old stone-built cabin here in Spain that was converted from a one-storey to a two-storey. As mentioned, the building is made of stone and the original owner added collar ties (I guess you could call them floor support beams) at a height of approx. 2.25 meters (7 1/4 ft) from the ground floor to support the second floor rooms. There are six collar ties (note first photo) in the rectangular-shaped room and running perpendicular to the collar ties, the roof ridge beam above (very thick, massive. note second photo) with two additional beams parallel to it on each side for a total of 6 supporting the tile roof above. I only want to remove two of the collar ties in order to effectively make the upstairs area a one bedroom instead of the current two. Would the collar tie removal cause any issues with the structual integrity? This cabin is in the middle of nowhere and almost impossible to get anyone out to survey, let alone do any work. Other than the small room which sits directly above the two collar ties shown in the first photo, there's nothing on the second floor that they are supporting. That said I don't want the roof caving in on me either. thanks!

Attachments

• viga-techo-ancho.jpg
    viga-techo-ancho.jpg
    378.3 KB · Views: 31
  • cabin-vigas-2a-planta.jpg
    cabin-vigas-2a-planta.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 30
Sponsored Links
Surely they are floor beams supporting the floor boards and not ties tying the walls?

If so, they can only be removed if something else is used to hold up any area of floor that needs to be supported.

The purlins in the roof are stopping roof spread.

Thanks Woody. Nothing is above the two floor beams I would like to remove. Just an open room (no walls) so I would be removing the floor boards only then the two floor beams directly under. The remaining four floor beams would stay put. If you note in the first photo I've attached there is a beam to the right of the window and then another in the middle and above the window. These are the two beams I want to remove. cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back