Removing collar ties

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm current re-roofing my garage of approx 4m x 5.5m (external), it has a traditional roof structure consisting of 2"x4" wall plates, 1x6" ridge board and 1x4" rafters at about 1 foot spacing. The floor is boarded to provide an attic storage space with a hatch in the centre. One problem I have is that the roof has two collar ties in it, one each side of the hatch making access to the ends difficult as the tie is about central in the 4 foot height of the attic space. I was wondering if it would be safe to remove these ties as the attic floor has 3x4 joists at about 2 foot centres which are tied to every other rafter at the bottom ends and thus prevent spreading. Would replacing the two pairs of rafters with a heaver section, say 2x4 or 2x6 timbers add the strength lost by removal of the collar ties?.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back