Moving collar ties!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to improve access in my loft I currently have 2 collars 2 x 6 at equal intervals in my roof space at waist height meaning I have to clamber over them to gain access to parts of my loft. Ideally I would like to remove them but know this involves a lot of money and work, which for access only is not cost effective and pointless. I have 2 questions.

1. Can I move them to a different position, currently they are on every 6th rafter but 1 falls right on the loft hatch so was thinking of moving it this would mean from external gable to adjoining wall would be 4 rafters then collar, 8 rafters then collar then 6 rafters. Is this visible and would I need to consider some extra support in the larger gap between collars?

2. I was also considering an opening in the collar, eg cutting the middle out inserting uprights to make a doorway. Obviously would need to add extra support to prevent spread. I have some ideas about how I would do this but again would value thoughts on whether this would work and advise on additional support to make sure I'm on the right lines.

Thanks in advance.[/b]

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back