joist sizes for loft conversions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am coverting a loft into a railway room,and I want to remove parts of 2 collar ties.I have had drawings done by a structural engineer,these show that the existing 19mm chipboard flooring has to be replaced by 25mm chipboard.Thejoists are 3 by 2 inches,and there is supporting walls making the span for the joists between4 and 10 feet,although the new chipboard only covers 9 -10 feet either side of the centre.The collar ties are held in place by new 4 by 2 uprights bolted tothe collars and to the rafters.Are the joists man enough?

Sponsored Links
Well if the SE has done calcs for the floor thickness ( ?) then surely he must have considered the load on the joists .

I can't believe that an engineer has spec'd 3x2 floor joists or that building control have approved them

Even with the lightest loading and the closest spacing (400mm) they still wont span more than 1.1m - less than 4'

Sponsored Links
I am coverting a loft into a railway room,and I want to remove parts of 2 collar ties.I have had drawings done by a structural engineer,these show that the existing 19mm chipboard flooring has to be replaced by 25mm chipboard.Thejoists are 3 by 2 inches,and there is supporting walls making the span for the joists between4 and 10 feet,although the new chipboard only covers 9 -10 feet either side of the centre.The collar ties are held in place by new 4 by 2 uprights bolted tothe collars and to the rafters.Are the joists man enough?

Are the 3x2s existing?

No, they're not man enough, anywhere near, to span 10 feet, half that if you're lucky.

25mm chipboard is usually used where joist centres are 600mm.

If your joists are going in at 600mm centres then you need 50x175 C16 to span 10 feet, which is what your SE should have specified, assuming standard domestic floor loads.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back