Wall ties for internal wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So we're having a 2 storey extension to the side of our house, which involved taking off the outer course of stone on the gable end. This left the inner course of red brick showing and supports the first floor in the existing house.

The extension has built up against this red brick to the first floor with concrete blockwork, which will support the new first floor. There is probably an 8-10 inch gap between the old and new. However the builders haven't tied between these two courses, and I'm concerned about the strength of the old red brick, whether over time that'll move at all with settlement. Should I be worried about this? Is it reasonable to ask them to tie them together, and would that mean a lot of work to do?

Sponsored Links
So it sounds like you have a skin or leaf (not course) of existing brickwork and a leaf of new blockwork with a cavity of 200 to 250mm between new and existing without any wall ties. Doesn't sound good , how thick is the existing brick wall and how thick is the new blockwork wall :?:
Has there been any building regulations application made for this extension :?:

Yeah sorry I get my terminology mixed up, you got it right there. The existing brick wall is the thickness of a standard red brick, so probably 100mm thereabouts.

The extension has had full planning and has been inspected by building regs at various stages so far, e.g. for the foundations. I doubt, but not sure if this part has been inspected yet.

Spoke to my contractor who is going to have a word with the builder and go from there. Hopefully I won't just get fobbed off

Sponsored Links
The existing brick wall is the thickness of a standard red brick, so probably 100mm thereabouts.
That isn't thick enough and should be tied in to something but the cavity is too big :!:
The extension has had full planning and has been inspected by building regs at various stages so far, e.g. for the foundations. I doubt, but not sure if this part has been inspected yet.
These technical details aren't planning matters but these wall details are fundamental things that need approving ,what application has been made to building control:?: Is it being done under a Building Notice or a Full Plans Submission :?: - see previous advice :-
Tell your building inspector
Spoke to my contractor who is going to have a word with the builder and go from there. Hopefully I won't just get fobbed off
Don't understand the roles of your contractor and builder, why is there a contractor and a builder :?:

Did they tie extension internal blockwork return into existing outer wall, and then removed outer wall to increase room size leaving gap between?.
It's not a major job to take down some block and tie into wall using fixings, you obviously can't leave it as it is.
In the past i have removed external (new internal wall) but if joist are sitting on it, it needs looking at first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back