Avoiding mortar 'snots' on wall ties

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Done lots of single-skin blockwork before but want to build my own small extension cavity walls.

Should I build the outer or inner leaf first, what centres should the ties go and what's the best way of avoiding 'snots' on the ties?

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Outer skin first is normal, setting out doors and windows before you start to get any bod issues out of the way.

Wall ties are normally 900mm centres, staggered by 450mm on every other course, every course of blockwork at reveals, if using insulation, snots on ties is not to much of a problem (years ago when we didnt use insulation any muck that fell down the cavity might sit on top of tie and bridge it, but as its full fill now, no problems)

I also try and keep the inner leaf a little bit higher so the ties are at an angle running down to the out side.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back