Adding wall ties afterwards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I did not realise wall ties need to be in place on every course around doors. My extension consists of timber inner leaf, 50mm cavity and blockwork external. As a cheaper alternative to helical wall ties, I was considering drilling a hole in the masonry, squirting some kemfix in and inserting 150mm screws through into the the timber inner leaf. Would this be satisfactory?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Hi all

I did not realise wall ties need to be in place on every course around doors. My extension consists of timber inner leaf, 50mm cavity and blockwork external. As a cheaper alternative to helical wall ties, I was considering drilling a hole in the masonry, squirting some kemfix in and inserting 150mm screws through into the the timber inner leaf. Would this be satisfactory?

Cheers
I’d be more worried about the slender cavity and latest reg’s.

Tie positioning will depend on the jamb closing detail, but usually every block course (225mm), yes. You can mechanically fix, yes. Be aware that BC may frown upon the cold bridge or moisture bridge (bulky cavity ties), more so than the lack of ties.

Last edited:
I’d be more worried about the slender cavity and latest reg’s.

Tie positioning will depend on the jamb closing detail, but usually every block course (225mm), yes. You can mechanically fix, yes. Be aware that BC may frown upon the cold bridge or moisture bridge (bulky cavity ties), more so than the lack of ties.
Thanks noseall. BC approved my plans inadvance. 130mm insulation within the timber leaf and 25mm outside it. Then 50mm empty ventilated cavity.

What if Installed the screws at an angle so con
densation can run off? This should act the same as a wall tie...no?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
About 7. :) I can only see them sold in packs of 100 and then a 50 quid tool is required for the drill. Also, can helical ties go Into timber? I figured 150mm screws and a squirt of resin would be just as good...

They can go into timber. Never used screws myself, but it might work. When inner skins were brick the ties went in every 300mm, so you aren't too far out every 450mm. Worked on plenty of jobs years ago when the old Bricklayers only stuck them in every second block with the rest of the wall. They reckoned every block was a stupid modern idea.

Thanks Stuart. Good to know. For peace of mind and to keep BC happy, I will bite the bullet and will use Helical ties. Is a pilot hole still needed in the timber?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back