Wall ties?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm currently getting an extension built and noticed that the section of wall that if currently going up is only outer leaf and no wall ties are being set for when the inner blockwork is also added. Is this normal procedure?...

20180516_192140.jpg

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Is it a suspended floor with block and beam?

Are the builders waiting for the floor beams to arrive?

Im not sure why they haven't put in the ties though. I am sure there is a reason

It's going to be solid concrete floor. I'm just wondering why they have gone so high without starting ties. Surely these can't be put in once the outer leaf is laid, as the mortar would have set by the time the inner leaf starts.

Looks to me like the someone has balls it up good and proper. Take it down and start again...probably with a new builder.

Sponsored Links
There's a few around the openings.

Ask them about it before they do the inside, they could always screw some in.

It's going to be solid concrete floor. I'm just wondering why they have gone so high without starting ties. Surely these can't be put in once the outer leaf is laid, as the mortar would have set by the time the inner leaf starts.

I wondered because it looks like soil on the floor, usually blockwork would go up inside to say 1 block below dpc and then concrete oversite would be laid.

I cant think why a builder would want to put up the walls and then struggle getting the dirt out and type 1, concrete etc in....

Usually wall ties are put in as the walls go up, either both courses go up in stages together or, 1 is done first and ties put in as required an then the other course is done along with the insulation.

Its normal for cavity insulation to be 450mm high as that is the wall tie spacings for straight runs of ties -some more are put in around openings

info here
https://www.ancon.co.uk/blog/cavity-wall-tie-spacing-and-appropriate-tie-lengths

Ties are built in as the wall is built not shoved in afterwards - that way they are loose.

If they had built the inner leaf first they might be able to retro fit screw in ties. I suppose they could use helical or expanding ties fixed in to the mortar joints of the outer leaf but it is such a fundamental balls up I wouldn't want them within a hundred miles of any of my jobs.

The floor is currently down about 450 below inner FFL so assume plenty of space for the sub base, concrete, installation and screed, hence why you see soil at that level.

The foundations are trench filled 1+m.

There is then a line of block laid flat to increase the found height, then 4 brick height of brick with a DPC and then another 2 brick height then another DPC. Not sure why 2 DPC's, assume it's to do with the concrete floor.

They have ties around the openings but not within that large length/width of wall, which is why I was confused. I've asked the building control officer for his view on it.

They are a reputable large builder with their own cement mix company, scaffolding, building squasa etc and a couple of million cash at bank, so not a 2 bit firm I would expect to make cheap mistakes. It's a 2 story 130m2 extension rear and side/back with 15 steels to go in, so a fairly large job. I'm also getting the existing suspended floor in the existing house ripped out and replacing with concrete as well as a few other holes in walls etc.

In 4 days they have competed demolition of existing porch and garage, site clearance, inside of house suspended floor ripped out, kitchen gone, founds dug and laid, drainage dug and in and now above DPC level into the superstructure. I've been down with the tape measure each night (as ya do!) and they are mm perfect as per the plan for walls, openings and drainage runs. They reckon 2-3 weeks to complete, which at first I thought they were joking! I thought WW3 was kicking off the first day with the number of people, JCB's and trucks on site!

I'll setup a build thread and anyone interested can follow as I'm taking photos every night.

Can't understand why they have put some but not enough ties in. Hope they have not been using that level to plumb up with.

Actually panic over! If I zoom in really close I can see the ties. They are really thin so didn't notice them on the photo!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back