Bricks,blocks and wall ties

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Advice/pointers required. I am in the process of knocking up some drawings for an extension onto back of the house. Initial thoughts was to use 73mm bricks so I could tooth into existing brickwork as opposed to 65mm bricks and extension profiles. Using 73mm bricks obviously means that beds of outer brick and inner blocks will not marry up and hence fixing of wall ties would be problamatic. I have seen other extensions built with 73mm bricks so am I missing something here (other than leave the wall ties out)

Sponsored Links
If you're using traditional butterfly ties, just bend them (downwards to the outer skin).

Modern best practice is to use tie-ins (see Simpsons C2K), and not to tooth-in.

Best modern cavity ties are plastic. Dont use galvenised.

Sort out your cav width/insulation issues before starting.

For what its worth, there's a raft of Regulation regarding just how and where your extension outer wall meets the in-place wall, esp. cavity walls. Just saying.

Don't think galvanised are allowed now anyway (though I might be wrong) - most wire ties used now tend to be stainless steel.

Sponsored Links
yep mostly stainless steel now , I havnt used plastic ties for about 20 years , as said before you can by longer ties and bend them down to outer skin

Tooth it in, much more pleasing on the eye than a straight joint all the way up, If you have to put a straight joint up, set the new wall back a little as this will detract from it a little

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back