Pillers on single skin brickwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bricklayer by trade however not being in the trade for years and I mean years, and things have changed to how we used to do it. I have dusted off my tools to build myself a garage. Its single skin 73mm bricks and need to put some piers in. Size approximately 5.2m X 3.2m. How many piers should I put in, one on the back and two along the side? construction of the piers should I just put block on block with mesh tied across into the brickwork to form a pier or cut closures in the brickwork to construct a one brick pier?

Sponsored Links
One block to form a 110x440 pier with SS mesh every 225 at the centre of the long wall will do.

The wall with the garage door would normally be in 9", and any additional door would have a 9" pier at the jambs.

And remember to strap the roof to the walls.

Google 'Approved Document A' and download it; there are specific diagrams and recommenations for small single-skin structures, including heights, piers, spacings etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back