wall ties

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Currently doing a self build. The bricks for my house are 73mm and having built the outer skin with wall ties fitted, the inner skin will not line up correctly. Can i increase the morter joints? Cut the blocks? Buy some concrete half bricks? Any suggestions on the best/easiest solution.

Thanks with any help

Sponsored Links
You are supposed to set the tie wires to correspond with the block coursing. What this usually means (with regards to imperial bricks) is the ties usually fall every fifth course, then sixth, then fifth, then sixth and so on.
We usually drop a tape down to DPC and find the optimum position for the ties.

Have you set them every sixth course? :eek:

I guess you'll just have to bend yours to suit or scrap them altogether.

Yes every 6 but im only up to the bottom of the window so I'll change for the rest of the wall now thanks....regards to what I've done so far could i drill out some mortar and add ties to the correct height or would i be ok to bend what i have got?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Using the identical brick the house was built in...never done anything like this before but I'll learn from it.

Cheers for all the replya

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back