Wall ties question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are building an inner skin to an existing brick wall and are using a special angle bracket as wall tie. One part (vertical) screws into the existing brick wall and the other part is built into the inner skin like normal wall ties.

I would like to know how much should it overlap over the surface of the inner block? 1"? 2"? 3"?

I ask because currently it overlaps maybe 1.5" which I think is too short to provide a good bond.

Sponsored Links
Angle brackets (frame ties) aren't the best option as they have a broad profile and can pool water etc.

You should be using ss fish-tail screw in ties.

OK I will try to look these up. How to tell the builder of course is a totally different story because he will get defensive and tell me that he knows his job and that's how it's been done for 100 years. I can almost hear him saying that.

How about the overlap though? How much overlap should the tie have? I'd be much happier if it spanned over and across the whole block.

Ties don't need to be built in the full width of the block, 75mm would be ok, 1.5 inches or 38mm embedment is not enough.

Sponsored Links
I have looked and found these on the photo and I think these are what you meant - however not available in Travis Perkins, Jewsons, or Screwfix, unless I missed them,

Attachments

• 2019-02-04 18_22_33-Cavity Screw Ties – BLUEBIRD FIXINGS LTD.jpg
    2019-02-04 18_22_33-Cavity Screw Ties – BLUEBIRD FIXINGS LTD.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 104
I have looked and found these
Them's the ones.

If you stick one, thread first in the end of a (chuck) cordless drill, you can use the fishtail end to wind in the other fishtails.

Do not attempt to wind them all in by hand.

I will not be able to find these for tomorrow morning, as I said they are not available on Travis Perkins, Jewsons or Screwfix.

I understand the trick about using the cordless drill to screw them in quicker.

As it stands I will ask the builder to go get them, and if not available, to get the frame brackets in a larger size if possible.

Travis Perkins stock them in packs of 20, they are in a clear and yellow plastic bag near the joist hangers.

OK I have asked the builder to go get them and use them, I tried to phrase it very politely... I talk to the builder and I feel I am talking to the MD at work...

OK I have asked the builder to go get them and use them, I tried to phrase it very politely... I talk to the builder and I feel I am talking to the MD at work...

If his work is good, maybe you csn overlook his attitude.......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back