Becoming a qualified electrician

there r loads of courses. my mate did his in 5 days. i did mine thru the EAL which was a 10 dayer. Although Part P is not a qualification , you do still do an on-line exam about the building regs in general and how they relate to electrical work. there r no restrictions on who dz it. Think prices start at about £700. Worth noting that u may be able to get some help with funding as i did.

Sponsored Links
Hi ziggy and alex

Whilst it's true you can pass all your exams without having had any practical experience (and I've met some who have) - you'd be silly to start off on your own without some back up. Teaching yourself the practicals of electrical installation as you go along will be scary and I promise that you will come across situations when you will poop your pants and want to run away - but you can't because the customer has employed you as a competent electrician.

If you really can't get any work experience (?), I would suggest you stick to very straight forward and simple jobs to start with to build up your confidence and skills and see if you can find an experienced spark to provide you with a 'helpline' in times of trouble.

Good luck

SB

Moderator 9 said:
Please can you refrain from using text talk.

See forum rule 23...
How the hell can you keep a straight face, M9, when the title of that rule (No 'txt spk') is itself written in text speak?! :eek:

ok guys thanks for advice,have downloaded the insp & test forms,what resistance/loop impedance tester is best? cheers

Sponsored Links
Moderator 9 said:
If you'd like to comment on a forum rule...
I wasn't commenting on the rule - it was a question for you!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back