Qualified Electrician

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As a qualified approved electrician due to redundancy I'm looking at the possibility of going self employed as a domestic installer, is it possible for me to do installation work and have it signed off by building control until i get registered with a part p agency

Sponsored Links
Yes it is! possible, there will also be installations that will not need to be notified. So BC will not need to be informed.
If notification is required. You will need to pay fees for applications/notifications though, they do vary from region to region, so I would enquire about them at your local building controls office.
I would also start to the registration with a scheme provider asap, as they do take about 6-8 weeks before they do your assessment.
If I was going recommend one, through experience I would suggest you contact http://www.partp.co.uk/

so for a few months then I will be doing installations for people and then a suit from the local authority will arrive inspect my work and hopefully sign it off, if a non compliance is found does this incur a second inspection with an additional charge?

It varies from council to council.

Your local guys may well accept that you are competent to issue EICs and happily take those and your money (you do know how much notification will either add to your prices or subtract from your earnings?) and send out the Building Regulations completion certificate without any inspection at all.

Sponsored Links
ok for a full house rewire, but wouldn't want to add that to a shower installation

That's your problem. There's no/little differentiation.
Its the same amount for a full rewire as for fitting an external socket.

From LABC's point of view its the same amount of effort for both. A couple of site vits and some paperwork.

If you going to get three jobs that are notifiable in the first few months of starting you may as well register in a Part P scheme - especially if two are within ten miles of each other.

ok for a full house rewire, but wouldn't want to add that to a shower installation
Even worse if you are adding a socket in a kitchen.
If you get involved with new builds or new extensions, there is normally an application in place be it either with the builder or the client.
Like I said in my first post, start thinking now about getting registered with someone, as it will be after Christmas before you get accessed and it's an expensive job notifying and you even lose work because of the fees.
As for building control visits, I have found they spend a little time with you, if they are happy the system is safe or safer than previously and you can show them how to do a Zs test and a RCD test you have cracked it!

Why try to get involved with notification directly yourself before registering with one of the schemes? It's not your responsibility to act as policeman for the LABC. Let the householder commissioning the work decide whether he wants to notify and pay the fees or not.

It's not your responsibility to act as policeman for the LABC. Let the householder commissioning the work decide whether he wants to notify and pay the fees or not.

That's true, but will put you at a £200 disadvantage against an already registered electrician.

It's a bloody racket this part p millions of pounds being generated off the back of tradesmen, I agree control needs to be in place but this is a total shambles of a system.

That's true, but will put you at a £200 disadvantage against an already registered electrician.

So would notifying and paying the LABC and then adding the £200 to your bill. But if the customer doesn't care about notification, there's no £200 disadvantage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back