part p qualification

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i regularly fit kitchens and bathrooms. Unfortunately since part p came into effect i have had to rely on approved electricians to carry out any wiring. I have been checking looking at getting Part P qualified by taken EAL Domestic installer. Not being a qualified electrician but capable of carrying out the work does anyone know what level of knowledge is required before i enrol on such course and what further costs i will incur such as testing equipment and registration costs

Sponsored Links
radarlove said:
i regularly fit kitchens and bathrooms. Unfortunately since part p came into effect i have had to rely on approved electricians to carry out any wiring. I have been checking looking at getting Part P qualified by taken EAL Domestic installer. Not being a qualified electrician but capable of carrying out the work does anyone know what level of knowledge is required before i enrol on such course and what further costs i will incur such as testing equipment and registration costs

you will need to have C&G 2381 and 2391 (regulations and inspection and testing. check tho for exactly what qualifications you need. test equipment will set you back a good few hundred

Andy, i dont think he needs any formal qualifications to do this course, from what i hear radar its just a case of do the week long eal and bobs yer uncle

BenStiller said:
Andy, i dont think he needs any formal qualifications to do this course, from what i hear radar its just a case of do the week long eal and bobs yer uncle

yea, those week courses make people more 'qualified' than people like me (and many other electricians) who have been doin wiring for years

Sponsored Links
I know it really winds me up. I have

City and Guilds 236 Part 1 and 2, Am1 Am2, 2381, 2391, 232 parts 1 and 2 and 8 years experience, yet I am not part P compliant, ridiculous.

Yet someone can come along take a few weeks worth of courses and be able to do this work.

No formal qualifications needed.

Books £150

Test equipment £300 / £700.

Napit £300, Niceic £400 Registration.

andy said:
BenStiller said:

yea, those week courses make people more 'qualified' than people like me (and many other electricians) who have been doin wiring for years

Spot On

Hacman said:
City and Guilds 236 Part 1 and 2, Am1 Am2, 2381, 2391, 232 parts 1 and 2
Please don't take this as a defence of the "instant electrician" courses, but that list neatly sums up one of the factors that led to Part P.

The electrical trade's refusal to accept that all of those are not necessary if all you want to do is domestic work, and that nobody who didn't have all those could do any electrical work, created a vacuum that was filled by kitchen and bathroom fitters.

When the British public's taste for home improvements, given financial impetus by the ludicrous cost of moving house and the huge amount of realisable equity sloshing around thanks to property price inflation, meant that this "underclass" of non-electricians was working in a market worth having (according to Barclays and the Woolwich, every year we fork out around a quarter of a billion pounds on home improvements between April and May alone), the electrical contracting industry decided that they would have it.

Why do you think that Part P has ended up nothing to do with safety or consumer protection?

Why do you think that kitchens were made the equivalent of bathrooms with respect to the Part P restrictions, even though BS 7671 doesn't think they are in any way special?

Why do you think that the cost structure of the most prominent scheme organiser is more beneficial to larger companies than it is to small and OMB electrical businesses?

Whilst you guys are talking Part P etc -

I have just started my second year (evening course) of the City and Guilds 2330. Because of all these new rules, regs and course, our tutor is most confused as to what we should do after this years course.

He is telling us not to worry about Part P, and to do the Test and Inspect Course instead. He 'reckons' that Part P will flop and they will get rid of it !!!

Any ideas ??

There are 5 bodies which can 'give' you part p - NICEIC, NAPIT, ELECSA, BSI, BRE (ECA). Each lists its requirements for part p on its web site....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back