Part P misrepresentation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am really quite sick and tired of people using Part P as a qualification. "Part P registered - (where?) Part P qualified - (so; you weren't a qualified electrician before?) And so on and so on; you get the point; (i hope) What is it? On my business card I have put - amongst other trades, "Minor electrical work in accordance with Part P". I have been doing electrical work for the past 3 years!! Part P is a set of guidelines, isn't it?

Sponsored Links
Part P is a set of guidelines, isn't it?
Part P is a regulation = a statute = law.

It is like a speed limit, that is not a guideline.

But the rest of what you say is true. Part P is not a qualification. It is a regulation. All electrical work (minor and major) must be carried out in accordance with Building Regulations Part P - it is the REGULATION that specifies electrical safety.

There are lots of "Part P" courses, a quick search will reveal that.

e.g. Level 2 Certificate for Domestic Electrical Installers (Incorporating knowledge requirements for Part P Competent Persons Schemes) from EAL "Successful candidates will receive the Applicable Building Regulations Award (Part P)."

http://www.eal.org.uk/shared_content_folder/qualification_search.aspx

This qualification was developed in partnership with the Electrical Contactors Association (ECA), National Inspection Council for Electrical Installation Contracting (NICEIC), CORGI and SummitSkills. The qualification has been developed to comply with the requirements of Part P of the Building Regulations which came into force on the 1 January 2005. From this date electrical installation work in dwellings has had to comply with the Building Regulations (Part P) and has needed to be carried out by persons who are competent to do so. The format of the amended CDEI L2 VRQ qualification is the result of a fundamental review involving industry and training providers.

This qualification is not intended for candidates who have no previous electrical experience. It is intended for those who carry out electrical work in association with, or for their main work activity, and need to demonstrate knowledge to enable them to be nominated as a ‘qualified supervisor’ with a Competent Persons Scheme. Registration with such a scheme will enable self certification of domestic electrical installation work to the Building Regulations.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back