Part P

Status
Not open for further replies.
In reply to someone asking how they could remove a switch in a kitchen that supplied a now-redundant socket said:
Get some 30amp connectors, and join the item out ensuring both ends of the ring are together to create the ring. (Assuming you had a Switch above the worktop to control the socket below)

Then tape the connectors up, and push into the metal back box. I would then cut some cardboard and stuff it behind the lugs in the 3 & 9 o'clock position and tile over it. The cardboard if fitted correctly and big enough will stop plaster going into the box.

You could put a blanking plate on it (unsightly), but id just tile over it..and have done in the past...in customers houses.

AliasOmega said:
i have done my C&G236 Part A i should be deemed as competent
Errrr -- that'd be "No", then...

Sponsored Links
AliasOmega said:
Oh come on, you know the score. The people who write these books are not the people who carry out the job. I see this in my job daily.

The person with the crimps, would of gone to his local halfords / motorworld and bought the car set of crimps designed for 12v. The crimper is poor, and then the crimps are even worse. If the 6mm cable dont fit into the connector, he would trim it down. Ive seen many dodgy crimps that have been taped over. The DIY'er aint gonna pay £19.99 for a rachet crimper and the correct crimps.
Leaving aside that grossly inaccurate observation, you are not a DIYer.

I would prefer to use the choc blocks, or even better solder it..as then if you get it wrong you can try again. Its well easy to bend the ends over into a loop, put under the screw and fasten it up. Then drop a little bit of solder into the end of the connector to secure it. Then tape it up...
That is not a compliant method, no matter what you prefer. And dropping a bit of solder into the end does not make it a soldered joint - the solder will immediately cool too much to properly flow and make a sound joint.

This method is far far far better then the crimp, at least you can have a visual on the cable to ensure it is terminated correct.
So you can with crimps, and you can also check for mechanical strength. If it's far far better than the crimp, why is it not the recommended method?

We live in a world where things are not done by the book daily. If you surveyed 9/10 sparks work...i would imagine they use the choc block..
I've no idea whether that is true or not, but other people contravening the regulations is not a justification.

You get caught doing it, you face the punishment, but how many times has your work ever been inspected apart from the tester....which normally is you..
Yeeh Hah!

Sponsored Links
You also have to have accessibility of conductor connections ( 526-04-01) so using the 30amp connectors then tiling over the connection rather than using a blanking plate is also no no, having done c&g236 you should have known that. If a jobs worth doing it's worth doing it right.
Oh yeh morning.

comms said:
You also have to have accessibility of conductor connections ( 526-04-01) so using the 30amp connectors then tiling over the connection rather than using a blanking plate is also no no, having done c&g236 you should have known that. If a jobs worth doing it's worth doing it right.
Not according to Alias Omega. In his scheme of professional electricianship a job should be bodged as quickly as possible and covered up so that it remains undetected, as the regulations are unrealistic and nobody follows them.

It would be fascinating to know if he's so convinced of the rightness of this approach that he'd happily show it to a NICEIC inspector when he goes for registration....

AliasOmega said:

I'm afraid that is what I would say to you if I saw you doing this in my house. Unfortunately, Joe Public are mostly ignorant of the regs (no offence) and have no idea of the correct methods: indeed, that is why they are employing a "professional".

To abuse that position is deplorable.

Who taught you that carp anyway?

Come on gents, AO did relate he was R.A.F Rough As Fk ! He was being honest ;)

sort of makes you see where two jags is coming from though doesnt it!

tell me about it!

Post locked see forum rule 20

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back