Part P

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Going to raise the ugly part p questions again, sorry. I'm a recently qualified electrician, i've just had few qoutes to get some windows fitted and was asked by one the the firms if i'd be interested installing S/O n lights in the conservatorys they install. Would this electric work be notifable Part P to local building control, or would a MWC be all that is needed? Please i'm confused

Sponsored Links
The lighting is not a new circuit and its not in a special location therefore it is not notifiable. I assume that you have all of the relavent test equipment so that you can complete a MWC properly?

What will you do if the conservatory folk want you to install some sockets in said conservatory. You may then be faced with much larger tasks bearing in mind the need for RCDs on downstairs sockets....

If the property already had RCD to downstairs, then would it be ok to install additional S/O using MWC? Or could I install RCD S/Os? Or recommend on MWC to have RCD installed?

Not having RCD, would this be a departure noted on MWC? I thought that only RCD was needed if S/O would be used for outside equipotential area(extension lead), so depends how you read the situation?

Sponsored Links
Try reading reg 471-16-01. Doesnt it say all socket outlets that may be reasonably expected to supply portable equipment outdoors.??

It doesnt say anything about extension leads or depending on how you read the situation. It means all downstairs socket outlets including the one on the cooker swith plate (if there is one).

If you put a socket i a conservatory the owner (or the next one) WILL use it for their lawn mower, a light or something.

Taylortwocities said:
It means all downstairs socket outlets including the one on the cooker swith plate (if there is one).

To be fair, TTC, that is one interpretation of it.

Some leave out the CCU outlet because (depending on the situation) it may be highly unlikely to be used for equipment outdoors.

Some people put all sockets on the RCD, unless a second floor (or higher) flat.

if i were you i'd quote a price based on use of RCD sockets if nessacery in the conservatory, rcd protection of existing sockets is not your problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back