becoming a spark "again"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone

Have not posted for a while as most of my visits to this site were during a major self renovation to my bungalow early in 2005

I have recently been made redundant and am finding it difficult to find a new position in the area I have been working in lately ( logistics in manufacturing )

I have a training grant available to me but cannot decide what to do with it

One possibility is to update my electrical certificates and go "back on the tools"

I served a four year apprentiship with B.S.C. in the 70's so I guess would immediately need to go on a 16th edition course

What testing courses would you suggest, and having completed them, what kit would you suggest I apply for as I could get this paid for too as part of the course

Sponsored Links
OK Looked on the NICEIC website and discovered that

City and Guilds 2381: Level 3 Certificate in the Requirements for Electrical Installations: BS 7671 (Sixteenth Edition)

City & Guilds 2391: Level 3 Certificate in Inspection, Testing and Certification of Electrical Installations

Seem to be the ones I need as refresher courses

Does this qualify me then for part P ?

I got one I like it.
Non trip RCD Zs test 1 ohm resolution.
Try ISS a tadd cheaper I think, also that site does not state whether flying leads and 13Amp plug lead supplied as standard (Probavly is I should think).

Metrel easitest is a good one too

I`d advise you to look at and perhaps discuss over telephone with all the 5 Part P scheme operators.
I went with ELECSA found them OK

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply

The more I read the more confused I get

I would appreciate a step by step guide so maybe I need to phone tomorrow

So I have served an aprenticeship

I update my skills by getting

City and Guilds 2381: Level 3 Certificate in the Requirements for Electrical Installations: BS 7671 (Sixteenth Edition)

City & Guilds 2391: Level 3 Certificate in Inspection, Testing and Certification of Electrical Installations

I purchase the additional kit for all the testing required

I then have to register with one of the various bodies (and subsequently pay an annual fee )

They need to inspect two installations of mine to ensure compliance

They then deem me competent to carry out domestic wiring

Is this correct ?

:confused:

In a nutshell Yes.
Talk to all the schemes ref qualifications and fees (include all fees), for instance some say £ XX to register plus £ YY for assessment.
I think Elecsa is £ 400+Vat = £ 470 at present . Napit = £180 register + £300 assess = £480 (inc VAT I think) and last time I looked BSI was about £800 total .
So if you speak to them all and get the full total & their requirements which seem to differ slightly but maybe not much and perhaps then you will get the overall picture.
There is a 6th way called COR (Carry On Regardless) which many seemed to have joined LOL.
All the best :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back