COURSES

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi advice please would you suggest that i do my 16th edition before i do the domestic installer course , thanksi have been in the game 23 yrs just couldnt be bothered with school or college at the time i now want some sort of qualification behind me

Sponsored Links
Depends how much of the theory you have learn't along the way, 23 years is a heap of time.

If you look over here http://www.iee.org/Events/Courses/Short/Elec/cgexam.cfm and click on the blue writing it leads you in to some dummy 16th ed tests.

If they are double dutch, then your need to do either the Domestic Installer or the 16th Ed courses.

Having had 20 years of mixed comms / data / comm elect / dom electric practical experience, I did the the DISQ. Some of it was a bit basic, but over the 4 days (5th is exam) I cemented the gaps between practical and theory.

Having spent 3 months reading the 16th edition, having done the practice book and the online tests x XYZ I'll book the 16th test direct and pay my £130 and see how it goes (but holiday time 1st).

Then I'll be happy that DISQ isn't just something under some electricians shoes :( .

Do note pass rate is 100% for DISQ and 80% for 16th. DSIQ will give you back your paper and allow amendment provided your 1st score is over 75% (I think I got 90% 1st attempt)

I want to go back to commercial work and offer voice, data, electrical, alarm and access solutions- So I need to get the 16th and I'd like to take 2391 and be full fat.

From your point of view it's for you to decide capability, some would advocate 3 years p/t college as the only true route. If you intend to be contracting, large site works then JIB is the vanilla requirement.

Time served and 3 years college seems the only access route to JIB certification. Certainly in London, job recruiters and permanent employers do ask for JIB more than 'just' 16th- but 2391 seems to be the daddy.

That is the true electrician golden card of much £££'s

If you have been in the game 23 years you should know most of it backwards. 2381 is a piece of p*ss. get a new regs book and read it right thru. All the answers are in there and you can take it in the xam with you.!!
I agree try some of the test papers on Sparky Heaven and you'll see that a lot of the Qs come up time & again.

If u get a good score on the test papers, go book teh exam, what have u got to loose?

Chri5 said:
Time served and 3 years college seems the only access route to JIB certification. Certainly in London, job recruiters and permanent employers do ask for JIB more than 'just' 16th- but 2391 seems to be the daddy.

That is the true electrician golden card of much £££'s

I can only send JIB registered sparks onto construction sites because 99.9% of main contractors enforce the CSCS scheme on their electrical sub-contractors.

As a sparks you can only get a CSCS card if you have a JIB card which is why sparks with a JIB card are now earning more.

The CSCS test is the same for all trades and it's a complete farce. I think it's main purpose is to ensure the applicant can read english. :cry:

I'm very anti the JIB because although times have changed the JIB are still stuck firmly in the 70's when Johnd's old employers flooded the market with time served sparks.

FYI
http://www.cscs.uk.com/RunScript.asp?p=ASP\Pg0.asp

Sponsored Links
ONLY BOTHERED ABOUT HOUSE BASHING ALTHOUGH HAVE COMMECIAL AND IND EXPERIENCE

Since you've got hands on experience I'd tend to do a twelve week evening course on the 17th Edition when it comes out - an open book multi choie that shouldn't be too difficult for you then once this is gained 2391 Inspection and Testing for PIR work now that your getting on a bit :LOL:

Hello Tashie,

Around my way there are 3 day courses @420
6wks one full day a week @230
12 wks one evening a week @230.

Check with your local colleges, as not all run the same schedules.

Good Luck.

Ed.

ps If you are only concerned with domestic work, then the 2381 is not required if you go through the NIC DISQ route ??? :eek:

THANKS WAS THINKING OF DOING THE PART P DOMESTIC INSTALLER I BELIEVE YOU DONT NEED 16 ED BUT AM I RIGHT IN SAYING IF I WANTED TO DO 2391 I WOULD NEED MY 16ED sorry for caps left it switched on

tashie said:
THANKS WAS THINKING OF DOING THE PART P DOMESTIC INSTALLER I BELIEVE YOU DONT NEED 16 ED BUT AM I RIGHT IN SAYING IF I WANTED TO DO 2391 I WOULD NEED MY 16ED sorry for caps left it switched on

A lot of the training centres require you to have a good working knowledge of the 16th before you attempt the 2391

In my opinion you must have a good knowledge of the regs to stand a chance of passing 2391. The 2381, is a simple test because you can take the answer book in with you but by passing it you have demonstrated an understanding of the regulations and what they mean.

If you dont have that understanding you are not going to be able to do any inspections because you wont be able to judge if what you are inspecing complies.

I despair that some organisations will allow someone to be able to certify his own work without 2381.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back