2381 exam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have only just registered to this forum, wish me luck now!!

I am currently studying for the 16th Edition c&g 2381 course. I have my own electrical and pluming company but need to further my qualifications in order to make myself a little more useful to customers!

I will be enrolling with a college in April, this will involve a 3day course + 2381 exam. After reading through the BS71 Req for Elec Installations, it can be ascertained that the theory is intense and the exam will be difficult.
I am fairly confident with electrical work and dont feel the need to go ahead and carry out the Domestic Installer course which to my knowledge is far too expensive. (£750!!!)

My question is, is there anything I can do to make this exam a walkthrough for me. Plus if I wanted to register as a competent person with the NICEIC after gaining the 2381, would I be an ideal candidate, and would my qualifications suffice??

Thanks guys, like i said, this is my first post, BE NICE :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
HA HA

I think I can do that anyhow, its multiple choice and yep I am allowed to take the book in.

Well plz correct me if im wrong..

dynomo welcome.
Where you going to take your 2381 ? (did mine at Newbury college)
Nothing intense or difficult with the C&G2381 (did mine a few years ago but hasnt changed to my knowlege) if you know how to read 7671 & interprit the indifidual regs you'll pass easy as it's a multi choice online exam.

If you have the requirements see here
http://www.niceic.org.uk/partp/partprequire.html

Then you'll need to have an assessment of two jobs, where you will be required to undertake some testing of the work you've done to show competence of testing. You'll also be asked questions with regard to regs + questions about the jobs you've chosen as assessment pieces.
The assessor will ensure your assessment jobs meet regulations.

Sponsored Links
I trust you are alright on the basic theory behind it? (if so you shouldn't be doing electrical at all yet) but if you want to read up on some of the things which are a bit more obscure, some of the special locations (swimming pools, saunas, etc), the more unusual forms of protection against indirect contact (non conducting locations, earth free bonding, etc), the two earthing systems you don't come across often (IT and TNC), etc, then Whitfields book is worth a read: http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Book/1.1.htm (you can probably do 2381 without understanding what it all means, but that'd be a tad pointless)

Then its just a case of sitting down with the regs, finding out where to find different tables and regulations, etc and maybe doing a few past papers to hone the skill of finding stuff

part-p.org.uk for past papers.

And heres one to try, had one of my 2330 coursemates searching the brown bible for an hour and a half:

An installation in a paper mill consists of PVC singles in steel conduit and trunking, the installation should be protected by an RCD with a tripping current of not more than: (A)30ma, (B)100ma, (C)300ma, (B)500ma

comms said:
Nothing intense or difficult with the C&G2381 (did mine a few years ago but hasnt changed to my knowlege) if you know how to read 7671 & interprit the indifidual regs you'll pass easy as it's a multi choice online exam. .

im doing mine at BCOT, in Basingstoke. Duration = 3 days
£420 incl exam fees
Wat form of qualifications did you have prior to taking the 2381.
Oh and are u registered as a competent person? if so what jobs did u undertake and how did you find the overall assessment.

thanks a million

hey adam, thanks for the advice
will definitely use it

ummm in terms of the ansa to ur question, I have yet to find it!!!!

cheers mate

dynomo said:
comms said:
Nothing intense or difficult with the C&G2381 (did mine a few years ago but hasnt changed to my knowlege) if you know how to read 7671 & interprit the indifidual regs you'll pass easy as it's a multi choice online exam. .

im doing mine at BCOT, in Basingstoke. Duration = 3 days
£420 incl exam fees
Wat form of qualifications did you have prior to taking the 2381.
Oh and are u registered as a competent person? if so what jobs did u undertake and how did you find the overall assessment.

thanks a million

Did the 2381 over 6 evenings for £150ish, had to get it as it was a prerequisit for the C&G2391 that I wanted.
I had these quals prior to doing the 2381: onc electronics (not much use for 2381) / C&G 2360 parts 1 & 2.

Yes I am DI registered as full scope with NICEIC. It was ok not to scary, I had a ringmain rewire (groundfloor) on a TT system & a new radial to a boiler on a TNC-s system.
Somewhere on here is a write up of my assessment if you do a search.
Got my year2 assessment next month.
Found it here.
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=78600&highlight=

blimmin heck that sounds scary!!!
nice one

well done, i now know who to turn to if i need anything else

cheers

newspark_paul said:
It's 500mA - 605-10-01

Are you sure? Wouldn't have thought a paper mill came within the scope of agricultural and horticultural?

I was looking at 482-02-06 and would've gone for 300ma like JohnD

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back