electrical qualifications

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi people.

was just wondering if i could have some opinions/advice.
im a apprentice trained spark working in industry as a maintenance electrician. my qualifications include:-
apprentiship which was in engineering maintenance (electrical bias),

nvq 2 in basic electrical

nvq 3 in electrical maintenance,

btec onc in electrical electronic engineering

hnc in electrical/electronic engineering

c& g 2381 wiring regs

c & g 2391 inspection n testing.

cant see me being in maintenance/ industry that long, would really like to go maybe contracting or set up on myself doing domestic or the inspection.
can anyone recommend any other courses that would be good to get under my belt? have read about the domestic installers course, think its 2360 but i really havent got the time ( or patience) to spend a year doin 1 night a week at college. is there a quick 1 week intense course to this? if not can anyone recommend an alternative? oh n does anybody no if you can jusy pay to sit the exams without doin the course?

any other suggestions on the subject greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
why bother with 2330, you dont need it to become registered with a part p scam

Sponsored Links
IS, with those quals mate i would steer clear of contracting, it's a pain the rear passage.

Considering your electronics background, I would be looking to apply for Jobs with companies such as Trend or similar with the BMS crews, or the Alarm/access control part of the industry.

Of course the other route would be to stick with what your currently doing, take a Management course at College, you can get them in Construction Management, but general would do, and look for Contract Manager roles etc. Why get dirty if you can earn more staying clean!!

ha ha bout the contracting, everyone seems to say that !! probably good advice!

the electronics side of its a pain in the rear too though to be honest, trust me. much rather get into the inspection n testing side of stuff!

am thinking the pat testings a full ship now thoug, not much point botherin with that! had a bloke do our appliances other week at work- £1 an appliance! cant be makin any money at that rate surelly!

would still like to hear anyone's advice on any domestic courses side of things though, any worth doing n any what mite be of benefit if i decide to go inspecting?

PAT testing will bore the pants off you..trust me, its suicidedly boring. House bashing will destroy your knees. Although the grass may seem greener elsewhere, it rarely is.

How about going into maintenance electrician work on refineries, power stations etc, some very interesting projects to be had there. With a bit of extra training / courses theres always instrumentation and control which is the field i work in on a local power station. I'm currently studying part-time towards a degree in electronics (2 years left) then i'll be looking at working 6 mths of year abroad, hopefully!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back