Qualifications

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I have just had a change of career and am now renovating and converting domestic properties. I have no formal electrical qualifications and would like to gain the right qualifications to enable me to rewire, test and certify electrical installations in domestic properties.

I am a Chartered Marine Engineer (BEng and CEng) and have studied electrical and electronic engineering during my marine engineering degree. I also worked as HVAC engineer for four years about ten years ago installing, commissioning and fault finding commercial systems. I have a good working knowledge of electrical installations but as I have said hold no formal qualifications.

Any pointers as to the correct qualifications to aim for would be most appreciated. I have done some reading and have come up with either the C&G 2381 or EAL Level 2 Domestic Installers Qualification but I am not sure which would be the best.

I am not looking for the cheapest method but am looking for the route which would give the greatest understanding.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Hello,

A lot of people are now doing the city and guilds 2330, think its part time spread over 2years... would be worth doing this to start off with and then develop your practical skills in installation and wireing.

hope this helps,

carlos

afaict if you have the practical skills already the fastest route is probablly 3281 (16th edition regs, open book exam, from what i can gather anyone with reasonable familiarity with the wiring regs should pass this without a course) and 2391 (the inspection and testing course).

2381 and 2391 should be easilly enough to get into one of the part P self cert schemes.

afaict if you have the practical skills already the fastest route is probablly 3281 (16th edition regs, open book exam, from what i can gather anyone with reasonable familiarity with the wiring regs should pass this without a course) and 2391 (the inspection and testing course).
Plug the only way now that you can get the 16th Edition is to go the long way round and you cannot now take the inspection and testing exam without having your 16th Edition.
The way you have to go now is the following

c&g2330 Part 1 Year 1 cost of £304.00
Year 2 cost of £294.00
c&g2330 Part 2 1 Year course cost £323.00
c&g2381 16th Edition 10 weeks Cost £94.00
c&g2391 inspection and testing 12 weeks cost £138.00

I know this is a real pain in the a** for most but it is the only way to go now.

Sponsored Links
gazza30 said:
Plug the only way now that you can get the 16th Edition is to go the long way round
Who says?

The way you have to go now is the following

c&g2330 Part 1 Year 1 cost of £304.00
Year 2 cost of £294.00
c&g2330 Part 2 1 Year course cost £323.00
If you want 2330

c&g2381 16th Edition 10 weeks Cost £94.00
Or you go somewhere where you can just take the exam.

c&g2391 inspection and testing 12 weeks cost £138.00
Or you go somewhere where you can just take the exam.

I know this is a real pain in the a** for most but it is the only way to go now.
Who says?

Ban
The c&g2330 is not just 1 exam you have to sit an exam after each unit and there are 5 units in the first year.
City & Guilds are saying that you have to complete the course now and that you cannot just sit the exam.
If you fail any of your exams in the fist year then you have to strat that year again.
City & Guilds are also saying that you cannot take any other exams apart from 2377 PAT testing without first sitting the 2360 or as of this year 2330.

Hi i've thinking of doing something like this is my spare time, i know it's gonna take a few good years to get qualified.

Now searching my local college all i can find is

Click here

Is this the right course to start off with?

You can do the 2381 straight off, and thats all you really need, to show your working to the current regs. (as well as experience - competence).

Qualification wise, the 2381 is all you need on paper to be a full time sparks.

Hightowermark said:
Hi i've thinking of doing something like this is my spare time, i know it's gonna take a few good years to get qualified.

Click here

Or you could be a smart a*se and do it in one year at night college, and wonder how you wife still recognises you.

gazza30 said:
Ban
The c&g2330 is not just 1 exam you have to sit an exam after each unit and there are 5 units in the first year.
City & Guilds are saying that you have to complete the course now and that you cannot just sit the exam.
I never said you could for 2330..

City & Guilds are also saying that you cannot take any other exams apart from 2377 PAT testing without first sitting the 2360 or as of this year 2330.
Where are they saying that, and how come nobody has told any of the training companies (including the IEE) who have exam-only offerings, and/or 1-2-3 day "refresher" courses with exams at the end?

Unless things have changed in the last 18months or so, I did (and passed) C&G 2391 inspection and testing with no other electrical qualificastions at all.

Qedelec said:
Hightowermark said:

Click here

Or you could be a smart a*se and do it in one year at night college, and wonder how you wife still recognises you.

How would it take me a year working on the above it'll take 3-4 years. But that is once a week. Are there courses that do it everyday?

Many thanks to all for your advice it is much appreciated. I think I am going to go down the C&G 2381 and 2391 route.

Don't expect 2381 and 2391 to teach you much about the practicallities of electrical installation - that's what 2330 and work experience do for you!

The college where I took 2381 and am taking 2391 at the moment is clamping down on people who don't have the 2330 or the equivalent knowledge. I am pleased about this as it really cheeses me off when we spend half the lesson having to go over Ohm's law for the 10th time....

SB :mad:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back