Part qualification

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im a gas engineer and am very interested in electrics. Someone I work with said he used to have an electrical qualification that would allow him to do minor works such as adding sockets and lights ect, not rewires ect. Does such a qualification still exist as I'd be very interested in doing it to gain a better knowledge!

Cheers all.

Sponsored Links
Oops.

It appears that when I stripped all of the stuff out of the URL that they don't need to know I took a little bit too much out.

Fixed.

Sponsored Links
You could go for a "Defined Scope" membership of one of the Part P Scams (sorry, schemes).

This would allow you to carry out notifiable works " as a necessary adjunct
to or arising out of other work being carried out by the registered person"

So he could fit a fused spur in a kitchen if it were used to provide a power feed to a boiler that he was installing.

More detail here (see page 2)
http://www.napit.org.uk/downloads/CP_Electrical_Scheme.pdf

was just looking at Elecsa, unlike Nappit and NICEIC I cant find any references to "scope" NICEIC have Level A and Level B Scope, which looks to be assessment dependant? but could be wrong... and Nappit look like they have Full Scope and Defined Scope... which are qualification dependant?

With full and level a you can do everything, consumer unit changes, rewires.. but level b and defined you can only do electrical work relating to other work like kitchens and bathrooms.

But Elecsa, I cannot find any references to different scope, just Part P registered with them.. nor can I find any references to qualifications required other than a "17th Edition Qualification" unless you choose their optional PIR assessment.

So it looks like as long as you have a 17th Edition Qualification, you can register with elecsa and do any work.

Have to say though, on Elecsa website its not clear or obvious at all which qualifications they require.

under visiting assessment process/requirements it tells you that you need all these other documents but in terms of qualifications very little is said? does state a 17th Edition qualification but impression it gives is they dont even ask to see it.. just implies that you will need that qualification to know the answers to the assessment questions? which seems rather lapse compared to the other 2 organisations.. NICEIC and Nappit.

But Elecsa do seem to be the least strict to join... if they only have a 1 scope system where 1 registration fits all work... then to join them if I read correctly you can take a 3 day course.

City & Guilds 17th Edition 2382-12 IEE Electrical Training Course
£420.00 3 Days

then pass a multiple choice open book exam on a computer... register with Elecsa then assumingly do anything from new circuits to consumer unit changes and rewires.

As it says you arent required to have inspection and testing qualifications for PIRs unless you want to do an assessment with them.. but also says it doesnt stop you from doing PIR as long as customer feels you are competent to do so...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back