what qualifications

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,,

For the last couple of weeks I have been doing a lot of work for a smallish building firm, Plumbing, heating and gas. Tonight I have had a meeting over a pint with the two owners, thanking me for the works completed and offering more work. Great me thinks.

Now they have asked if I would be interested in getting qualifications for the electrical side of the works, extensions, referbs ect. I've said Iam very interested, but what qualifications do I need to get?.

What sort of course for an RGI is required?
will it have to be a full course, or will a shorter one surfice?

Would getting part p now as an RGI cover for sockets, lighting ect?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Sponsored Links
Craig, I've got Part P, cna do most things with it apart from ring mains and consumer unit swaps etc, althoug I wouldn't want to do anything apart from adding a fused spur legally and safely of earth bonding to gas meter if there is a spare slot at earth block.

This was a 3 day course, run by an electrical firm and one day test, This has 'qualified' me to level B. If I wanted to be let loose on everything in a domestic dwelling it is another 1 day course and test :eek:

No wonder sparkies are furious at it. 4 days and we could legally do what they do after they have spent an entire apprenticeship learning :eek:.

I wonder how many 'legal' cowboys are out there :rolleyes:

I for one wouldn't dream of it and if I ever see a fault or potential fault I always call in a registered sparky or advise customer to asap.

Also I wouldn't have time to do the 'proper' electrics and even more legislative paper work.

I'm not suggesting that you would do anything that is not correct, but personally I wish I'd not bothered and saved my £1500 it cost in total with the megger multi function tester :cry:

Cheers Dave,

looking at getting part p though with extensions I believe you go back to the box for a new ring, dont know for sure could be wrong. think this would then entail certifying, again dont know

Yeah thats right. I'm allowed to fit new radial, electric shower, lighting etc if there is a spare slot on the consumer unit. I cannot add an extra fuse to the system.

I would also be asking why they want you to do it rather than their usual sparky. Have they fell out, or are they trying it on with you after treating you really well, paying on time etc to lull you into a false sense of security :eek:

Sorry to be pessimistic Craig, but I always follow the rule 'no friends in business' :rolleyes:

It's up to you and your professional judgement ;)

Sponsored Links
gas4you said:
Yeah thats right. I'm allowed to fit new radial, electric shower, lighting etc if there is a spare slot on the consumer unit. I cannot add an extra fuse to the system.

I would also be asking why they want you to do it rather than their usual sparky. Have they fell out, or are they trying it on with you after treating you really well, paying on time etc to lull you into a false sense of security :eek:

Sorry to be pessimistic Craig, but I always follow the rule 'no friends in business' :rolleyes:

It's up to you and your professional judgement ;)

Totally agree Dave,
The story is we the two builders and I are long term friends, some thirty years or so. the plumber they was using is not registered (drinks with us all the time, so also a friend), the sparky, again drinks in the same booser and long term friend has let them down on a cert which is going to court.
Now the previous plumber is doing the electrics(uncertified) and Ive taken over the plumbing/gas.

A large group of friends and children had a drink and barbie whilst watching the cricket on sunday, thats when the proposal was put to me to take over all plumbing and electrics. Beer talk I thought. after tonight though Im very much interested.

Woundering wether to go the full hog on qualies (night school) or just the part p

If you really want to do it go the whole hog! Part P won't really teach you how to be an electrician, rather it will let you test circuits etc safely. They didn't go into cable sizing etc etc.

Glad to know you're all friends, must make it a bit easier for you ;)

hi everyone

as a sparks thought i would put my view across.

Gas4u is correct it does annoy us when a 3 day course can give you the same level of competency as a city and guilds 2330 2nd year course, theres no way in a million years you could cram in the info you learn at college in 3-5 days.
A previous thread shows the problems these "part p courses" bring up regarding testing.
My advice is if you want to work on electrics as a job get the relevent college approved courses which is as follows

candg 2330 part 1and2 2years/ register with niceic as domestic installer
candg 2330 part 3 1 year
cang 2391 16 weeks
17 edition course from jan

I'm not being rude here, but would you want me installing gas in your house after just 4 days at college?

I am trying to remember what I had learned about electrical installation, and after 4 MONTHS (never mind four days) of work / college five days a week, I was no where near competent to wire an extension.

I think in all honesty you should not be carrying out this scale of electrical work without much more training in and understanding of electrical installations.

Carrying out minor works (which I assume is all you do at the moment) is completely different to speccing and wiring new circuits from scratch, and the additional complications this can so often entail.

As I said I'm not having a go, this is just my opinion of what experience you would need to be carrying out this work

RF Lighting said:
I'm not being rude here, but would you want me installing gas in your house after just 4 days at college?

I am trying to remember what I had learned about electrical installation, and after 4 MONTHS (never mind four days) of work / college five days a week, I was no where near competent to wire an extension.

I think in all honesty you should not be carrying out this scale of electrical work without much more training in and understanding of electrical installations.

Carrying out minor works (which I assume is all you do at the moment) is completely different to speccing and wiring new circuits from scratch, and the additional complications this can so often entail.

As I said I'm not having a go, this is just my opinion of what experience you would need to be carrying out this work

With you all the way RF, I understand electrics though wont do any in customers prop due too legislation.
Having said that what Dave has said does sound a quick option so as not to lose the work whilst training at night scool again, not looking forward to that.

Should of done this sparky lark 20 odd years ago when asked by the old fella :oops:

reading through these responses makes me think of one point , that any one carrying out electrical work in a property is required to complete a minor works certificate for extra points and alterations etc and a electrical installation certificate for any new circuits or board changes etc to comply with part p of the building regulations. Either way you have to sign these forms declaring every thing is safe and complies with BS7671. would any one really be competent to sign a form that can be used as evidence in a court of law in the event of a electrical fault leading to fire or electrocution after 3 to 5 days of training!!

Probably not and I am the first to admit that. I only use my Part P to drop a fused spur into a kitchen etc to connect my boiler. Nothing else PERIOD. I know my limitations even though I am quite happy generally with domestic electrics and I have not the slightest interest in using it for anything else.

No disrespect to Craig, but my concern is that there will now be a lot of 'legal cowboys' out there signing off works who are not electricians :eek: How is the public to know :rolleyes:

If ever I find anything suspicious with an existing electrical installation I always get the homeowner to call an approved and qualified sparks in. ;)

el patron said:
reading through these responses makes me think of one point , that any one carrying out electrical work in a property is required to complete a minor works certificate for extra points and alterations etc and a electrical installation certificate for any new circuits or board changes etc to comply with part p of the building regulations. Either way you have to sign these forms declaring every thing is safe and complies with BS7671. would any one really be competent to sign a form that can be used as evidence in a court of law in the event of a electrical fault leading to fire or electrocution after 3 to 5 days of training!!

Point taken el patron, though my previous post says, and I quote
Having said that what Dave has said does sound a quick option so as not to lose the work whilst training at night scool again, not looking forward to that

Now ive done some training for part P and and going for creditation early a August, work commitments and hols made it this way.
So come August will cert my own and then I go back to night school in Sept for NVQ's :cry: :cry: Not lookin forward to night school at my age :(

hi everyone

just read your article about becoming a qualified electrician.I have just passed level 2 and have enroled for level 3.I tried to register with the NICEIC and the JIB but they did not want to know untill i pass level 3.I was originally told i could register with the NICEIC after completing level 2.I don't work in the industry full time at the moment,but have been doing domestic work for the last year and half with sparkie and have domestic experiance.Is there any other orginisation i can contact or any other advice you can give so i can work for myself.Thanks Rutty

pdenni said:
hi everyone

as a sparks thought i would put my view across.

Gas4u is correct it does annoy us when a 3 day course can give you the same level of competency as a city and guilds 2330 2nd year course, theres no way in a million years you could cram in the info you learn at college in 3-5 days.
A previous thread shows the problems these "part p courses" bring up regarding testing.
My advice is if you want to work on electrics as a job get the relevent college approved courses which is as follows

candg 2330 part 1and2 2years/ register with niceic as domestic installer
candg 2330 part 3 1 year
cang 2391 16 weeks
17 edition course from jan

Sponsored Links
Back