BS2391 College says 'no'

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When to enroll at Southgate college last night.

They'd cancelled the course because they haven't tooled up for it with test rigs and haven't got approval to run the course.

Anyway I had a good chat with the lecturers and when I mentioned that I had DISQ 'A' , 2381-10 (17th) and 5 years plus working experience they informed me that I wouldn't be able to do the course because I'm not Level 3 qualified.

Well excuse me, 2381 is a Level 3 qualification- nah, go away was their response.

So why is it that I can go do a one week wonder 2391 course via any number of training camps, but tech college say's 'no'

After giving them details of 30 years in cabling (25 years voice and data), containment, design, industrial, pet chem, hospitals, schools, campus work experience they did say they'd let me start a 2330 at year 2 ;)

Are they right or wrong? Have I simply experienced that old school prejudice that seems to go hand in hand with anyone that's trained via my route rather than going apprentice, 2330, 2381 and then 2391 ?

Sponsored Links
from what i know the only prequisite needed to sit 2391 at college is 17th edition - i know because i just booked september course and had to show my 17th cert.

BS2391 = British Standard ;)
Are you just looking to do the course from a domestic installers POV? I believe there is a reduced C&G2391 intended for this.
I know some who have done the full C&G2391 who had little practical experience in I,T and C of electrical installations. Think they did it as part of C&G2330 part 2.
I must admit, I thought the only qualification which was really recommended before you undertook C&G2391 was C&G2382.

Sponsored Links
I believe there is a reduced C&G2391 intended for this.
I know some who have done the full C&G2391 who had little practical experience in I,T and C of electrical installations.

as sparks says i am one of the above - very little real experience, however i am allowed to sit the exam - does that make me an electrician: no. Really think the certification/qualification bodies could do with a shake up, with all your experience it seems crazy you arnt allowed to sit, yet a novice like me, because ive sat the relevant exams can.

The C & G 2391 award was introduced in the nineties, after collaboration between City & Guilds and the NICEIC.

It was intended to be the gold standard, expert testers qualification. The course itself is to prepare you for the exam, whilst you are expected, as a pre-requisite, to be an experienced practical tester, with a good knowledge of the wiring regulations.

Any centre can impose its own additional pre-requisites

Sadly, however, many colleges are ill-equipped to cope with the requirements of the practical assessment and I have first-hand knowledge of practicals being passed, 'on the nod', under heavy prompting or carried out in groups. This shortfall is partially addressed by the appalling pass rate in the theory exam.

The poor pass rate is partially because the 2391 has been seen by many as 'just another exam'. It should not really be taken by newly qualified sparks in general - experience being important to proper understanding.

However, recognising the poor quality of applicant, there now exists the C & G 2392 award. This is based on the initial verification of single phase installations, which is all that many applicants needed anyway.

Your college may possibly be trying to steer applicants towards this qualification, rather than take on the heavier burden of getting students through a course they are not ready for. (This is not aimed at you, Chri5; you seem to have a better than average grasp of the requirements.)

BS2391 = British Standard ;)
Actually I don't think there is a BS 2391...

But I didn't know that, and for a laugh I thought I'd find out what it was for, so I did this search - it's staggering how many people think that the well known I&T qualification is "BS 2391", including companies advertising vacancies and promoting their businesses....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back