electrician training

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, im thinking about a career change! [feel free to put me off!] im wondering where to get the best information on courses and qualifications?? what qualifications do i need to become a domestic instaler? college or paid intensive courses? any feed back will be very much appreciated. thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Sorry - I'm being flippant.

It's just that whenever that question is asked it usually provokes a sh*t-storm of rants about the "traditional" 2360/2330/2381/2391/apprenticeship route compared to the EAL-4/NVQ/5-day-wonder-DI route...

Do a search here for training, qualifications, EAL, 2360, 2330, 2381, 2391 etc....

i know your only messing about! i can see their point! thanks for the advice b.a.s

Hi, did similar thing myself, only I was made redundant and had some time and cash to train! where in the skills world are you? how old are you? could you go to college and do a nvq etc, or do you need earnings quick and would rather work for someone else while learning the trade?
or you could do an associated trade, house maint etc and learn skills as you go and do a few shorter courses for the 2381 2391 part p route.
You need to ask a few of your local sparks, buy them a drink or two!, and check with local training organisations and colleges, they are staffed mainly by ex tradesmen and have a lot of experience you can tap into.
remember some working companies also have good training centres I use a company near Gloucester called Clarkson Evans, look them up on internet, recommended :)
Good luck, its worth it and worth doing properly!

If I don't manage to get an apprenticeship soon, I'm looking at doing 2330, 2381 and 2391 at college

the 2330 takes about two years to do, and the 2381 and 2391 are much shorter at about 12 weeks each, all courses are one day/ one evening a week IIRC

Yes, passed their test, but the fact that my name is on the list they circulate hasn't brought anything up :( though being registered does mean that if I find an employer and he wants me to do block release as opposed to day release, then that will be possible (JTL apprenticeship scheme is block release, local college apprenticeship scheme is day release)

The JTL do struggle to place people as they always get loads more applicants than there are places and I do sympathise with you

I'm surprised that you want to start at the bottom as you've already gained enough knowledge to design domestic circuits.

I've read other posts where you've said you don't want to go to uni but a degree in electrical engineering would almost guarantee you a post as a trainee design engineer.

Designing and project managing the electrical infrastructure for an office block or Wembly stadium is much more fun than working on site.

Many 2330 courses are run over 3 years - usually two nights per week, three hours per night. I'm coming to the end of my second year and my fellow students (a great bunch I might add!) are a mix of those who are lucky enough to already be in the industry but don't want to miss a day's work on day release and/or don't want to mix it with the 18yr olds (who've NO idea how lucky they are to be on apprenticeships) in the daytime and/or are too old to get an apprenticeship (like me :cry: !!). However, I'm under no illusions that most companies would rather have apprentice trained sparkies. So, if your lucky enough to be young enough, do your damndest to get an apprenticeship. If your the wrong age to get an apprenticeship and are looking for a career change like me (I'm 37 - oh for the benefit of hindsight!!) get on the 2330 and get another job to pay the bills; get as much practical experience as possible (volunteering to help sparkies and eventually doing jobs for yourself when you feel competent enough and making sure your not flouting Part P); and keep plugging away at it (no pun intended ;) ).

Some charitable and voluntary bodies may have the opportunity for an (unpaid) assistant or trainee to work under the supervision of an experienced electrician (I used to do that, not because I wanted to be a sparky, but because I wanted to contribute to a local organisation).

Depending on the premises and installation, you might get industrial and commercial experience and 3-phase equipment, not the same as just doing domestic repairs and installs.

the work is often done at weekends by pro's who are helping out.

Pensdown said:
Designing and project managing the electrical infrastructure for an office block or Wembly stadium is much more fun than working on site.

not to mention, much better paid!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back