electrician training

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want some opinions from existing sparks about quick training courses in electrics.

I wont yet reveal the name of the provider, but will provide info on the course I am interested in.

It is completed in around a year, with about 5 hours per week in home study, and 1 evening per week at a practical collage base, the qualification is a city & guilds in electrics. and can include (as an optional element) Part P training/registration.

I have been informed that the City & Guilds is a nationally recognised qualification, but is it worth anything, I have seen other "nationally recognised" qualifications as somthing that most employers recognise as something to steer clear of.

here are other parts of the course which may be included in the course I take:

Essential Electrics - CITB Certified.

Part P (Bpec Defined Scope).

The 16th Edition of the IEE Wiring Regulations - C&G 2381.

CSCS Site Safety cards.

Bpec Certificated Domestic Installer Scheme (Full Scope).

there are a couple more bit like PAT & 1st aid which a already have, so have removed them from the list.

opinions/advice please

Sponsored Links
Which C&G qualification is it working to? What sort of electrical work are you wanting to do?

with regard to the C&G,I dont know yet, I have further info on the way.
Im wanting to start with domestic work, with the possibility of progressing/training further up to working doing theatre type installs

Sponsored Links
5 hours a week for a year doesn't sound right to me..

I did 1 day and 1 night a week for a year to get my C&G 236 parts 1 and 2.. ( but that was only because they let me skip some parts due to an ONC in electronics and electrical engineering that I had just done...)
It was 2 years back then.. but i think it's 3 now???

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back