Certificate in Electrical Installation Work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In 1981/82 I completed a City and Guild course.

Here is what I achieved:

* "The part one certificate in electrical installation work"

* "The part two certificate in electrical installation work"

I never went on to take up a job as an electrician.

It's a very long time ago now, but are there any old timers that can say what did that qualification allow me to do, in 1982?

And, is there a rough modern equivalent? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Aaah, I think I did C&G 2361 & 2632.

Perhaps also known as 2360 Part 1 & 2.

There were practicals, but no actual "on-the-job" training element.

I think the NVQ took over but as far as what you can do there is no requirement to have any qualification to be an electrician.

However in order to become a scheme member there is. So for domestic you need qualifications to work as a sole trader. But a company may employ who ever they want to do domestic work.

Many companies use semi-skilled labour be it an electricians mate or an apprentice and clearly to get new electricians that must continue.

Experience counts and there are many electricians of my age who have few formal qualifications. As to if C&G holds the qualification on a data base is another question. Back in 1992 when 16th Edition came out many colleges were setting their own exams for 16th Edition and so there is no single data base. When 17th came out one could take a short version to update and many electricians were caught out because although they had a certificate it was not from C&G.

As one goes over level 3 one takes exams set by different learning colleges and universities and all the EU qualifications have to be recognised so there can't really be a single qualification. You may well find one scheme provider will accept what you have and another will reject it.

Over the years I have taken many tests, done many courses, and attended many tool box talks some which remain valid and some which have been superseded. It would seem my HGV is no longer valid even if I take my medical and my original cherry picker licence is no longer recognised. But had I been using them then they would be.

I trained as a motor vehicle technician but today I would not have a clue on motor vehicle repair. The same is true on electrics, when I started no one had ever heard of a PLC or Semi-conductor fuses. But wiring a house unlikely even today you would need to know.

As a maintenance electrician I had no real need to know what was in BS7671 some one else installed I only kept it running. So it's all down to what you want to do. Even the local authority building control don't seem to know what qualifications mean so even doing work for yourself and registering with the LABC there is no set list of qualifications.

Ask me to do calculus now and I would have to get the books out I can't remember all I was taught so the big question is what do you want to do?

Actually, I don't want to become an electrician. But, I was very curious as to what I'd been qualified to do all those years ago. I look at my CU, that needs rewiring, and I ask myself -despite me thinking I am competent to do it - was I actually qualified to rewire a CU when I passed 2361 and 2632? So long ago, I cannot recall. Logically I think, I must have been - back then.

Sponsored Links
... was I actually qualified to rewire a CU when I passed 2361 and 2632? So long ago, I cannot recall. Logically I think, I must have been - back then.
"Qualified" in whose eyes? Prior to 2005, there were no legal restrictions at all as to who did what electrical work, and what 'approval'/'certification' that work had. Even today, anyone can do any electrical work (regardless of qualifications or the lack of them), provided they do it 'safely', the only additional issue now being whether or not notification to LA (and attendant 'controls') is required.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back