becoming gas safe in 2 years

Just copied that into google and came up with this, 5th one down. :LOL:
Thank you for saving my partner's money and time.

My boyfriend was looking for a plumbing apprenticeship and used an online form on tradecareer.co.uk to get more information. He also contacted our local college for some information so when we were contacted by an advisor who wanted to come round we had no objections as we thought he was from our local college.

It wasn't until he left when I questioned my boyfriend and he showed me the website he went on. I knew straight away from the unprofessional layout and bad grammar throughout it wasn't legit and I noticed a video titled with "train 4 trade skills" and a lot of the reviews were copied from ATL's website. My boyfriend rang the representative back up and he said he worked for ATL which, with a couple of google searches brought me here!

Luckily for us and thanks to many forums like this one my boyfriend has since rang back and said he's not interested.

The representative was very charismatic and persuasive, dressed in a smart suit but drove a small blue car, it did seem very off and too good to be true.

Apologies for the long post but I wanted to put out there for anyone else who might search DO NOT use tradecareer.co.uk it's just another website being used to coax in more people onto their 3 year £5500 course!

Sponsored Links
A local lad here spent nearly £10k getting 'qualified' as a plumber on one of these so called 'plumbing courses', and he bought a new van on finance. I was actually a bit 'spooked' by him as he seemed to be doing OK and I was seeing his van in far too many places. He even asked for my help on the odd occasion and I gave it, not always FOC...depended on what was being asked, but sometimes FOC.

Well, four years down the line he is working in a chicken processing plant and has sold his van and a few horror stories have emerged about the damage he did in some houses, entirely due to lack of experience really. In a way its a shame as I'm too close to being pensioned off for him to have been a real threat.

It does emphasise to me that there is no substitute for time on the job, and working with someone who can teach you the 'right way' as well as getting you out of the inevitable 'sh*t' that happens from time to time. Reinventing the wheel is hard enough at the best of times. Doing it alone is nigh on impossible.

We had similar problems at the company I used to work for with blokes coming out of the forces with gas qualifications. Their heads had been filled with how they were the best and it was all out there for the taking. Some made it, and some didn't, but either way it was a damn sight harder for them than they had been led to believe it would be.

Alfredo

Well said Alf. I would approach modern Gas Safe boiler work as I would try to fix our 5 year old peugeot :eek: . Now give me any car up to 1975 and I could fix that ;) apart from maybe a Model T Ford ( epicyclic gearbox) :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
The OP seems to have gone awol.

I really dont understand the thoughts of those who go out doing plumbing jobs for the public without any experience or knowledge.

Reminds me of someone who changed career and came to me for some experience.

He went to a few jobs and often called me for advice. One on the things he said is so true, "every job is a new learning experience".

Six years later I dont see him listed locally as a plumber. Another career change I expect.

i did a 10 day course with little to no practical.

safe to say i am now a registered gas installer.

now i'm just winging it. its quite hard.

£5500 for a 2 year online course, forget that, i can do you a 5 day intensive online course for £ 2750 😉😉

Spoke to a guy yesterday in the pub he has just paid 8.8k for a course.

Seems the OP has stayed AWOL.

Perhaps he has found another career to change to?

There were a lot of people training to be Energy Assessors! Wonder where most of them are now!

I have always thought that a good way in would be to find someone close to retirement and buy their business with a phased retirement over a couple of years.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back