Bed Bug Scam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I read in the 60's an article about an American Confidence trickster, who went to Australia in the 30's during an infestation of Bed Bugs in Melbourne I think it was. He advertised in the local press for a the sale of a 100% money back guaranteed solution to the perfect way of killing Bed Bugs. Thousands replied and paid for the solution which was delivered to them with two Blocks of wood labelled A & B and instructions which said, Place block A on the Floor, Catch Bed Bug , and strike sharply with Block B .
The legal people could do nothing about it as it was indeed a perfect way to kill bed Bugs although the guy was asked to leave Melbourne. He did but arrive some where else with another Scam relating to Silk.
He amassed a fortune and sent it all back to his mother somewhere in the USA asking her to bank it for when he returns. He travelled to South Africa and eventually back to the US to see his Mother and recover his fortune. His Mother Denied any Knowledge of her Son so the guy was left with nothing. He apparently then Joined up as a pilot in the Second World War where it is thought he was shot down and Killed.
The point of all of this junk, is to ask if any one knows the source of this story as I would love to read the details of it again as some of his scams were hilarious. I have searched the inevitable Google and the like and can find no reference to it.
Has any one any ideas for a search to find the article or has anyone else read the article.

Sponsored Links
sounds similar to the 100 disposable cigarette lighters for £5 on ebay. loads of people bought them, only to receive a box of matches.

Nothing could be done, the description is accurate.

Both sound like Urban Legends to me - unless you can find the eBay item number :idea:

Sponsored Links
Back