Bed of Nails in My Loft?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening folks - I'm a long time lurker here but never posted before. If anyone's got a moment I was after some opinions on what the builders have left up in our loft after completing an extension. Whilst my head was stuck up there looking at the wiring (I have a question on that too...) I peeled back the old insulation and can see lots of screws sticking up. One of the areas is where they've patched a hole in the ceiling (after putting extractor fan in wrong place) and I think the other is part of the ceiling mounted shower. To me it seems like an accident waiting to happen as the screws are completely hidden by the insulation - I could see someone putting their hand down and a screw going straight though. I raised this with the builder but he says "every house in country gets those its the only way of fixing to plasterboard". I get that it's not going to look like a palace up there but it doesn't seem right to me... Anyone got any thoughts? I can do something with it myself but as it's not my job.... On the other hand, if you tell me I'm being picky and to stop being precious that'll do just fine too as we're looking to move on and wrap things up!!

Cheers all,

Steve

Pic 1 - loft space

Pics 2/3/4 - screws sticking up under insulation

Sponsored Links
The builder has used plaster board as a backing for fixing something to. Appropriate off-cuts of wood should be used as backing for holding up any device or fixture from below. The wood backing should be fixed to the joists and not rely on the p/b to take the weight.

The above applies to the electrical junction boxes and ceiling roses or any other light fixtures.

If the builder is responsible for the cables etc that can be seen in the pics, and the projecting screws, then they should be called back.

Pics of the bathroom ceiling from below would help.

Bad practice really.

You may be able to snap/break the protruding screws off.
Be careful or it could ruin the finish on the ceiling below.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys - the help is very much appreciated. Something else to add to the list then :confused: This could turn into a long conversation...

ree - I don't think a pic of the ceiling would help unless I'm missing the point! It's all painted and finished now so just looks like any old ceiling. Is that what you meant or was it to do with the positioning of things?

Thanks again all,

Steve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back