Bed slats cutting into new mattress

Why not take the slats off and smooth them down?

I am guessing that the (possibly temporary) creases are a result of the gaps between the slats. As a decorator, I have dismantled many slatted beds, none had sharp corners.

Sponsored Links
because they indicate that the fabric is getting extra pressure and will wear away. Spending nearly a grand on a mattress I'd rather it last a long time. or if I need to return it, they won't have an issue with the marks
They won’t have an issue as it’s not damaged .

A sheet of plywood or any other water proof material will result in the underside of the mattress becoming damp from condensation,

Google for mattress pads which are breathable cloth

I can say from experience that it does work.
My base is mdf , from experience I can say a solid bed base is not an issue .You would need to sleep in a sauna to get condensation on a bed .

So, condensation only happens in hot and steamy rooms?

I had a cheap divan base with hardboard top until recently. That definitely caused problems. But ground floor in a 1930s house might be different to upstairs in a modern house.

Sponsored Links
Condensation happens when warm moist air hits a cold surface

What about a breathable membrane laid onto the slates mattress can still breath and not on direct contact with the slates

Unless the manufacturer specifies it shouldn't be, it would be a poor quality mattress if it get damaged by laying it on a bed with slats.

Buy the same...

As a decorator, I regularly dismantle beds. Often they have slats that are held in place with plastic receivers that have pegs that that drop in to the timber or metal frame. From memory, they are normally about 2" wide, and the gap between the slats is less than 2".

Unless the manufacturer specifies it shouldn't be, it would be a poor quality mattress if it get damaged by laying it on a bed with slats.

I was thinking something similar. It may be the case that the creases will disappear a few hours after being flipped.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back