Bedroom alcove - en suite

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all im new to the site and dont know if im in the right topic.
I live in a 1930's terraced house our current bathroom is on the small size with only a shower cubicle in.
I would like to make the alcove in our bedroom into a shower room with a small hand basin and then fit a small compact bath into the bathroom which would require moving the bathroom round slightly.
This is our new first house and im a bit green when it come to DIY would anyone be able to give me advise weather they think this is posssible and what sort of budget should I be looking at?

Sponsored Links
The complexity of the plumbing will be a big factor. If the alcove backs onto the existing bathroom or the external wall with the drain on then the cost will be significantly less than running drains and water across the house. Shuffling the bathroom sounds easy as you wont be moving much.

Without seeing drawings of what you propose & where the current soil stack is, it’s impossible to say but noseall's figure would be a good starting point if your going to do it peoperly & within regulations. You should be aware that the work you are doing must comply with several Building Regulations, is almost certainly notifyable & will probably need LABC inspection to ensure compliance.

Sponsored Links
Hi thanks for the info. Its really helpfull.
The alcove is above the stairs and will have a exterior wall and the wall between us and our neighbour there is already a small window in the alcove seperate from the main bay window in the bedroom. There is a drainpipe running down the outside of the exterior wall just outside the window which might be able to be used!
I am hoping to get a few qoutes in now I have an idea to go on!

converted an airing cupboard into room with shower and sink in my parents house, had to relocate tanks, fit a shower pump etc, came in at 5.5k,

investigate the use of multipanel instead of plasterboard and tiles for the inside of the room

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back