How long is a piece of string.... En-suite install cost

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

Realise this is a 'how long is a piece of string' question, but am about to remortgage and looking to fix the rate for 3 or 5 years and also borrow a bit more so we can finish up a few things on the house. Need to know how much extra to borrow, hence the Q....

One thing we want to do is put an en-suite in the bedroom. The en-suite is on the opposite side of the house from our existing SVP. Therefore, this will involve:

1) connection to drain in private road that runs past our house (we have no connection to this at the moment). Will need to install manhole and SVP up the side of the house.

2) construction of stud walls etc

3) provision of all water/electricity to new en-suite location. Can be run through loft. Would want WC, basin + shower cubicle.

4) all the normal bathroom bits like tiling, suite, plumbing, plastering, etc.

Am after rough order of magnitude price for such a job, so I can borrow enough extra to cover it. At the moment am thinking around 20K should be more than enough (we could do with a new car too, so any left over is not a problem).

Location is Croydon.

Thanks,
Ben

Sponsored Links
Why would anyone want to take a dump in the bedroom? :confused:

lol! :eek:

Right, 20K is a lot... but there is shedloads of other stuff we have to do to the house, so no harm in having too much.

Really the unknown is the cost of installing a new SVP and connecting it to the drain in the (private) road. At the moment there is no manhole or anything there, but I know there is a drain. Of course that may not even be possible.

Sponsored Links
Well how are we supposed to know what it will cost then? :rolleyes:

Are you going to get someone in to do it? In which case get some quotes and then you'll know.

Well, I did say it was a bit of an open question. Just foraging for any experience anyone may have of this kind of thing.

Will get someone in when the time is right... will probably not do the work until next year, but only have a limited time to sort the mortgage. So just after very rough figure at this stage.

But appreciate it may not be possible to guess. Thanks anyway.

http://www.saniflo.co.uk/homeowners/sfa-product-line/sanishower-product-description/

Whilst not the best option, installing one of these will save you thousands. Just save your 'big jobbies' for the main bathroom.

Max pipe size is 32mm, but if you can pump into the loft space, you may be able to go into a larger diameter pipe across and into the main stack.

Loads of builders in the Croydon area so get as many quotes as you can, it won't be 20k

(Having said that, don't invite them to quote whilst you have a shiny new car on the drive, I know of someone in Croydon who adds a small premium to each job depending on how many nice cars the client has got!)

Check your key facts illustration for the mortgage. Section 10 I think shows how much you can overpay by each year without penalty. The vast majority allow overpayment of 10% per year without penalty.

If yours does just borrow the £20k, do the works you want to and pay back whatever you have left over.

Thanks all for the feedback.

Am defo thinking to fix for 5 yrs, and actually intend to borrow another 50k in total. We have lots of other things to do. You are right I can overpay 10% each year so I could overpay what I don't use in 1 year anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back