Bedroom Insulation Project- Advice Needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to improve the insulation in our three bedroom detached house as it fairly cold. Starting with the back bedroom. It's a dorma style room which has a single storey flat roof extension behind it.

The back part of the room (with the window) has a tile hung timber frame wall with 100 mm deep studs. At the moment there is a bit of loft style insulation behind the plasterboard and then what appears to be black felt directly behind this.

The lower part of this room extends much further maybe a metre back because of the slop that joins the room to the flat roof below, at present this also has a bit of loft insulation running against the studs.

The flat roof you can see in the picture has a cold deck insulation with air vents on either side. When it's really windy the wind actually vibrates the plaster board in the corner of the bedroom, in addition it appears the wind can blow from the flat roof vents all the way through and under the bedroom floor.

What I was looking to do and would like some comments on its remove all the plasterboard and fill the gap that goes back a metre or so with loft insulation then fill the gaps between the studs with Kingspan Thermawall TW55 100mm then re plaster board.

Now a few questions:

1. Should I used Kingspan Thermawall TW55 thats 100mm thick, which will fill the entire gap between the plasterboard and the felt or do I need to go smaller to allow for ventilation?

2. If I go with the above am I correct in thinking I should also use a vapour barrier?

3. Can I also put the insulation between the flat roof and the lounge ceiling/ bedroom floor to stop the cold air blowing all the way through or does this floor need to be ventilated?

I did think about then using Kingspan Kooltherm K18 boards rather than normal plasterboard after the TW55 was in but the window sill is too small so the boards would come out further than the window sill. Not sure there is anyway I can get round this?

Also for the two external facing side walls I was thinking of using kooltherm K18 boards after doing this which are standard cavity insulated walls but still seem cold to the touch.

Any advice, comments or suggestions for other products to use would be great! I'm hoping this will make a huge difference to temperature of the room.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back