Bedroom Privacy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all,

Im looking to change the handle on my room to have a lock like bathrooms do, really not good with DIY but willing to give it a go. Belows a picture of current handle, would this be a fairly easy job? Im thinking of just taking exsiting handle out, use existing cavity and just drilling further out so new bigger lock can go in.

Alot of the bathroom locks and handles I have seen tend to have a handle facing in the opposite direction, is this easy to change I guess? As per below:

Looking into getting a drill aswell, alot of them say "Hammer drill" would this be ok for just drilling into plasterboard aswell? Ie, do they still have non "hammer" functionality when drilling a simple hole?

Sorry for all the questions im really useless when it comes to DIY!

Cheers all.

Sponsored Links
Easiest method would be to use bathroom handles that incorporate the locking mechanism, so the handle can be locked in place and no other alterations are required , just straight forward handle change.

Normally, the handle sets similar to the pic you've posted, the lock mechanism below the handle, comes with both a thumb-turn and emergency opening mechanism (coin or screwdriver operated) the later fits on the external end of the spindle & face of the door. These are reversible, as is the latch on the handle spindle above, instructions will be included in the pack.
As for a drill, yes the hammer action can either be set to on or off, but unless you intend drilling into masonry walls, wish to buy tungsten tipped masonry drill bits etc. you wouldn't need this, however if it comes with the drill of your choice you don't need to switch it to hammer, but the facility is always available...pinenot :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back