Problems fitting bedroom privacy lock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

As per the title, I am having a lot of problems trying to fit the privacy lock to my bedroom door.

These are the ones I have https://www.howdens.com/hardware/sc...acks/garda-chrome-privacy-handle-pack-lal2070

So a bit of background the locks were originally fitted to my old doors the doors have since been replaced by a carpenter (rather stupidly at the time I didn't get them to make sure the locks still worked after changing the doors).

Anyway out of the thee doors upstairs, I have managed to get two of them to successfully lock correctly.

I.e when I am on the inside or bedroom 1, I turn the little knob which locks the handle and when I pull the door towards me it does not open as the latch holds it in place. (As expected)

However in the problem bedroom 2, when I turn the knob it does lock the handle however if I pull the door towards me the door will open. (Not as expected)

Looking at the wooden door in bedroom 2 it looks like the carpenter has shaved too much off it as if the door was a bit wider (like bedroom 1) then the door would not open if I pulled it towards me.

Does anyone get any advice?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Pack out both hinges to narrow the gap lock side.Loosen hinges one at a time and tuck a strip of cardboard [unless you possess plastic packers] behind hinge and tighten before doing the other.

I managed to get them working without doing the above. I had to turn the little knobs upside down hard to explain but its working! took me hours though

Sponsored Links
You fitted catch back to front?

The little knob that you use to lock the door from the inside has an Allen key to adjust it. So by design, this little hole should be pointing downwards so no one sees it. However, mine is pointing up.
It was the only way I could get the door handle to lock. Can take a photo if that is easier?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back