bedroom tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
mrs has seen some wonderful large tiles,and wants them in our bedroom floor.They do look good,and reasonable price.My question is how do i go about laying them on floorboards.Floorboards are ok,not brilliant.Do i have to put hardboard or other flat material on first,also what kind of adhesive would i need.And finally,the homer simpson question,if i get all electrics sorted out for sittingroom lights,below the bedroom,are these tiles then a permanent fixture ,never to be lifted,or is there a clever idea i can use to gain access to joint boxes.Thanks

Sponsored Links
You need to put plywood of at least 12mm thickness down first. This must be securely fixed with screws not nails. Then the ply must be primed with a PVA/Water mixture. Then normal floor tile adhesive can be used to fix the tiles.

Alas it is permanent unless you put an ugly trap door or screwed-down panel of tiled plywood above the electrics but believe me it will be noticable on the tiled floor.

Hope this helps

V :LOL:

Vlad.....would the grout be the same to or would it need to be flexible to cope with movement?

If the plywood is very securely screwed down then normal cement grout will usually do but as an extra precaution it would be no harm to buy flexi-grout or a flexi additive for extra peace-of-mind.

V :LOL:

Sponsored Links
sparkyjim said:
Floorboards are ok,not brilliant.
Why not remove the old flooring then put down 18mm exterior plywood (WPB) and check the wiring underneath at the same time. This will the floor level being too high.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back