bedroom vinyl wrap doors adhesive failed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My 9 year old fitted bedroom doors are delaminating, due to adhesive failure. My supplier claims this is a' world wide problem' due to faultty adhesive manufacture about 10 years ago. He claims a court case has limited the adhesive manufactures liability to the cost of the glue. Some door suppliers did give a 3 year replacement service. I am too late for that.

I can find no reference via a Google search.

Has anyone heard if this 'story' is true, or is he trying to con me into paying for new doors?

Sponsored Links
My 9 year old fitted bedroom doors are delaminating, Some door suppliers did give a 3 year replacement service. I am too late for that.

Hmmm, I'd think it's safe to say your too late by about 6 yrs.

My 9 year old fitted bedroom doors are delaminating, Some door suppliers did give a 3 year replacement service. I am too late for that.

Did you do what I did here John and mis-read this as "AM I too late for that?" Rather than what he actually said which was "I AM too late for that. Or were you just agreeing with him?

load of ******.

But seeing as the doors are 9 years old, I can't see you have any claim, so he isn't exactly conning you into paying for new doors.

If I got this right you are talking to the supplier and not the manufacturer, it wouldn't be down to the supplier after a year, the manufacturer will likely tell you to get on yer bike.

Sponsored Links
Andrew, Yes I did. Re-read the OP and realised he did say I Am too late. (really must go to specsavers tomorrow) ;) ;)

Well don't know if its coincidence but our kitchen cupboard doors appear to be doing the same thing after about 7 years.
You can see the laminate beginning to 'bubble' away from the sub-surface.
And before anyone says , "Well it is a kitchen", the kitchen is well ventilated and its happening to all the doors not just the ones you would suspect it to happen to, (i.e. over the tumble dryer or kettle). Even the integrated freezer door is bubbling and 2 doors on the unit on the opposite side of the room where there are no appliances. So there could be some sort of truth in it or maybe laminate glue eventually breaks down after a number of years anyway.

My own kitchen is vinyl wrap, it is 10 years old and not showing any sign of delaminating yet.

have you complained to your supplier yet? He may give you te same 'story' that i am getting.

Looking on the web, you cannot repair these vinyl wrap doors, only replace.

Mabe not the best product for any kitchen. I will be more carefull next time.

Not bothering to complain as we usually change it every 6 to 8 years anyway.
Next time will be considering solid wood doors. Carcases are still in perfect condition.

Colin, have you considered having the doors re-wrapped? There are companies that can do this. Or consider replacement doors. Gotta be far cheaper than a replacement kitchen. ;) ;) ;)

Or i got about 10 original 1930 doors £50 each, sorry, i diversify slighty, my neighbour had a loft conversion, they changed every door in the house to a half hour fire door and chucked the originals in the skip, sacralage :!: :!:

Did you do what I did here John and mis-read this as "AM I too late for that?" Rather than what he actually said which was "I AM too late for that. Or were you just agreeing with him?

How strange! I mis-read it too.

Thanks for all your comments, but I am still looking for confirmation of this 'faulty adhesive' and the 'world wide problem' going back over the last 10 years

colin_90";p="2387537 said:
My 9 year old fitted bedroom doors are delaminating, due to adhesive failure. My supplier claims this is a' world wide problem' due to
colin_90";p="2387537 said:
customers thinking that stufff last any longer

Sponsored Links
Back