Bedroom window frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm new here and also new to DIY in general

I'm about to re-board the wall in the picture, I've noticed around the window frame there is gaps (you can see out to the street from the bedroom) also the wood at the bottom is a little damp.

I'm thinking to treat the wood and perhaps use expanding filler for the gaps before re-boarding, is this the way to go? If so which products would you recommend for the wood treatment (it seems solid just a little damp on the bottom right) and also which expanding filler foam.

If this isn't the way to go please advice on the correct way

Any tips very welcome

Big thanks in advance for any replies

IMG_20140206_WA008.jpg

Sponsored Links
The window appears to be set in a sub frame, am I right? ...pinenot :confused:

The brown lines/wood around the windows in your posted image, is that a wooden frame of some sort? ...pinenot :)

Sponsored Links
The brown lines/wood around the windows in your posted image, is that a wooden frame of some sort? ...pinenot :)

Sorry, yes.. you have this brown architrave thing around it which I wanted to replace until I realized it goes very deep and the window is screwed into it.

The gaps are between that frame and the stud wall thing :oops:

Yeh! I thought so. first off I would suggest you plug and screw these to their opposite walls before filling them in with expanding foam. Drill through wood and brick/stone with a 7mm masonary drill, tap the red wall plugs intp the wood before fitting the screws into them, then hammer both through the wood into the wall, screw them in fully. now slacken the screws almost loosen them, at this point the wood should return back to it's loose position. Fill the gaps as deep as you can, with the expanding foam (a gun would be good) and re-screw the sub frame back to the wall, but when you see they are roughly perpendicular to the window and reasonably straight, then stop there. The foam should be squeezing out of the resultant gap(s) all the daylight
, drafts etc. will now be filled and you can cut any dry expanded foam back when dry. Go ahead and frame round the windows to carry the retuned plasterboard or however you prefer to trim them...pinenot :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back