Bedroom WIndow idea

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok,

At the moment i have a double glazed window in my bedroom. Its approx 10-15years old.

The problem is i live near a busy road, and the noise is a PITA at night. After some investigation, i believe it to be the window. I dont think the rubber seals around the openable part a sound, so i replaced these. This did help slightly, but it still annoys me.

So i phoned a company, and told them i wanted a triple glazed window. I also wanted a new window so that when it was installed, they could make sure any noise flanking from the sides could be tackled with foam etc.

He said that triple glazing while possible, would be a lot fo money, where-as acoustic laminated glass(double glazed) from planitherm wold offer a great solution for a bit less. He gave me a quote of £650.

Now, i dont mind paying good money to get this done right, but does anyone else have any other ideas. Anyone have experinece of this over a standard double glazed unit?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Secondary glazing with acoustic laminated fitted

Years ago, I had a window put it that was double glazed, but the outside glass was thicker than the inside. Everest said that it was better for sound-proofing. The cost wasn't much more.

Sponsored Links
If there is nothing wrong with the window frame just change the unit for one of unequal panes, the best for noise reduction would be 6.8 acoustic laminate and 10mm float - this may be too heavy forn your existing window mind you, but 2 (or 3 if your frame allows) unequal panes of glass is the way to go.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back