Bedside lamps - how many watts?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Happy New Year :)

We have a pair of bedside lamps sitting on bedside cabinets and they take 22mm bayonet bulbs.

I want a very very dim light from each lamp, just enough to read a book by, not enough to light the room. Energy saver bulbs seem to go as low as 5w (20/25w Comparable Wattage) 200 Lumens but these do not seem dim enough. I have seen Led Golfball bulbs as low as 1w (10w Comparable Wattage) but have not seen any in action. Would these be too dim?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
TLC are not far from me and they are doing the 1W LED golf ball lamps for a couple of £. Will pick some up and give them a try.

Got a pair of 1W LED golf ball bulbs last night for under a fiver. Soft white light. Covered with a lamp shade they give enough light to read by :D

Sponsored Links
Another option would be to fit incanedcent lights (halogen capsual or simular) with a dimmer. This is what my parents have for there bedside light which are wall mounted.
Actaully, they have a double two-way switch, which can switch one or other to full power or through the dimmer, and then a double dimmer which can be used to adjust what 'dim' is.

Proberbly overkill and certainly more work, but another way to skin a cat.

You can also get lamps with dimmers built in, my girlfriend has a touch sensotive one which get brighter three times each time you touch it and then off. Not great if its dim and you want to turn it off, or if you want to move it while it on, but again, more optioned for skin removal.

Daniel

Her in doors bought the lamps given that they "matched the walls". Not a thought to if they dimmed or not. I was given the choice of finding dimmer bulbs or sleeping on the landing :confused:

I have GU10 pods one with cold cathode lamp the other with tungsten lamp. Massive difference in light output be the tungsten is more of a spot than cold cathode so in fact causes less of a problem.

So all down to spread of light.

We have a pair of bedside lamps sitting on bedside cabinets and they take 22mm bayonet bulbs.
You used to be able to get "night light" bulbs in that format - very low wattage (<10) incandescents.

Don't know if you still can.

Those night lights look perfect and to think I was in TLC yesterday getting the LEDs! The ones I got will do for now. Typing this with the lamp on:cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back