Beef up stair stringer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Originally had a stairway with block wall on left and Brick supporting on right . Decided its time to open up hallway so checked loading on first floor and removed left hand block wall to expose void under stairs. All is good apart from stairs vibrating i presume due to flex as there was a small amount of support from some large cut nails into block work that now no longer exists. Exposed stringer is 220mm x 28mm and I am looking to beef up the thickness or apply some method to reduce the new bounce vibration. Will be squaring of the lower voided triangle part, probably 600mm max from floor upwards

Any advise would be welcome.

Cheers J

sorry about rotation but hopefully shows my dilema

Sponsored Links
Sister a new same section stringer to the exposed stringer. Screw and glue.

Bolt the wall stringer to the brickwork.

Check the connections at the top of both in place stringers where they attach to a trimming joist - fit angle brackets if there's room.

Check and bolster the fixings at the foot of the stringers.

Screw 3/4" ply under the back of the treads and risers. Use cleats at the edges.

Each time the flight flexes or vibrates its pulling out from its fixings.

thanks re ,,, plenty for me to think about there, and all good pointers..

J

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back