been offered some work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
a mate of mine who had a biasness on data installs has asked me if i could put some new sockeds in an office he has been working on.
im a qualified electrician but im a bit unsure about testing it when its all finished. i know how to test but do not have the 2391 and i am not a member of niceic or any other simular board.
could i do the install and then get another mate who has 2391 to test and certificate it?

Sponsored Links
In general you cannot inspect for someone else, unless it is a PIR, for new installations the installer should inspect/test/certify or call the council if he is not registered but...

If this is a commercial office (not at home) it is not covered by part P.
Adding sockets to an existing circuit is something quiet basic and simple so I think that this is not a problem to get help from a friend.

strange how you hear people say they are electricians but can't test ..
if this is the case how do you know your work is safe and correct.
Even if you arent doing it with part p in mind and issuing certification you still need to test everything you do!!!!!!! for your own peice of mind if nothing else!!!!
After all,!!! just because that green and yellow cable you are attaching to that metal light fitting is there it doesn't mean its earthed at the board and without testing how do you find out??????????

Sponsored Links
In general you cannot inspect for someone else, unless it is a PIR, for new installations the installer should inspect/test/certify or call the council if he is not registered but...

Three separate boxes - design, construction and inspection & testing.
These can be signed for by up to three different people....

im a qualified electrician but im a bit unsure about testing it when its all finished.

You're qualified and unsure about testing? Don't you complete EIC's and MWC's for the work you carry out?

610.1 Every installation shall, during erection and on completion before being put into service, be inspected and tested to verify, so far as is reasonable practicable, that the requirements of the Regulations have been met.

610.1 Every installation shall, during erection and on completion before being put into service, be inspected and tested to verify, so far as is reasonable practicable, that the requirements of the Regulations have been met.[/quote]

well said that man!!!!!!!

Does the bang test count?????!!!!!!

Three separate boxes - design, construction and inspection & testing.
These can be signed for by up to three different people....

This is correct to one type of the form, and all three operatives are related to the same installation. You cannot ask some one from another site that was not involved in design, construction and or inspection to sign the form.

The EIC's I use have details (name, address, organisation) for each person responsible for the electrical installation - designer, constructor and inpector & tester.
In fact, so do the model forms in BS7671:2008.

The EIC's I use have details (name, address, organisation) for each person responsible for the electrical installation - designer, constructor and inpector & tester.
In fact, so do the model forms in BS7671:2008.

Yep, they can be working for different firms but involved in the same project...

strange how you hear people say they are electricians but can't test ..
if this is the case how do you know your work is safe and correct.
Even if you arent doing it with part p in mind and issuing certification you still need to test everything you do!!!!!!! for your own peice of mind if nothing else!!!!
After all,!!! just because that green and yellow cable you are attaching to that metal light fitting is there it doesn't mean its earthed at the board and without testing how do you find out??????????
Letts - do you have any reason to believe that 700mb is still around after a year, wanting to debate his testing abilities with you? ;)

I'm also guilty of adding to an ancient thread.
Still, it's given 700mb enough time to brush up on his testing abilities so he really can call himself qualified!

I must admit it would be interesting, if he's still around, to see what he now thinks of his level of competence a year ago when he looks back...

I wonder when his last post was?

[edit]April this year[/edit]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back