Require practicle experience in inspection and testing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im a JIB registered electrician who requires some practicle help .
Ive just completed my 2391 in inspection and testing course .
I was wondering if theres anyone on this forum who could offer me some practicle experience around the W.Midlands area in inspection and testing .

Im not looking for any money and i would be volunteering my services for free .

Im looking to gain experience to help me through the practicle and written exams ,which are yet to be taken .

Cheers Azim

Sponsored Links
How did you become a JIB registered electrician without the ability to inspect and test the work you carry out?
Inspection and testing should be part of every installation you carry out.

What type of electrical work do you do?

Maybe he means practical experience in doing periodics, if he is only used to testing stuff he has installed then its a small jump?

Just thinking about things such as what limitations to apply, the less obvious defects to look out for (the immersion heater without the safety overheat cutout is one that gets missed by quite a few), codings, etc, etc)

(the immersion heater without the safety overheat cutout is one that gets missed by quite a few)

moon.gif

Sponsored Links
Just thinking about things such as what limitations to apply, the less obvious defects to look out for (the immersion heater without the safety overheat cutout is one that gets missed by quite a few), codings, etc, etc)

Hmm, just how far do you expect to go????. Your report is for compliance with BS7671. There's no requirement for immersion safety overheat cutouts in the "regs".

Inspecting the fixed wiring, absolutely, but the immersion is a connected appliance.

Even if you were to raise it as information for the customer, do remember that the requirement for a safety cut out only came into effect a few years ago.
In our world regs are not retrospective. I haven't seen an army of plumbers running around the countryside changing every immersion in the land..

521.1 requires that items of fixed equipment conform to the relevant british standards, an immersion without a safety cutout no longer conforms to the relevant standard, thus its a deviation to BS7671, and before you call me petty, its one with safety implications as well... there are have high profile cases where folk have been killed when the stat has failed, and its boiled the feed and expansion tank in the attic, which has then melted and failed!

The ESC recommend that this is a code 2 defect on a PIR report

521.1 requires that items of fixed equipment conform to the relevant british standards, an immersion without a safety cutout no longer conforms to the relevant standard
Which the British Standard says that an immersion heater thermostat has to have a manually-resettable overheat cut-out?

And does that standard cover installations with a 4 gallon storage cistern with no living space directly below it?

Which the British Standard says that an immersion heater thermostat has to have a manually-resettable overheat cut-out?
BS EN 60335-2-73

And does that standard cover installations with a 4 gallon storage cistern with no living space directly below it?
No, it covers immersion heaters, not storage cisterns

BS EN 60335-2-73
That standard covers the manufacture of new immersion heaters and associated thermostats, not existing installations.

No, it covers immersion heaters, not storage cisterns
But you wrote "there are have high profile cases where folk have been killed when the stat has failed, and its boiled the feed and expansion tank in the attic, which has then melted and failed! ". So what relevance does BS EN 60335-2-73 have to an existing installation where the tank (sic.) is not above any living space?

521.1 says no such thing
521.1 The installation method of a wiring system in relation to the type of conductor or cable used shall be in accordance with Table 4A1 of Appendix 4, provided the external influences are taken into account according to Section 522.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back