Inspecting and Testing work

dingbat said:
this is what most domestic sparks encounter on a daily basis.

Heres another from a different house just to prove it. (I've got loads like this :eek: )

dodgyjoint2.jpg

We love pictures™ :LOL:

Sponsored Links
dingbat said:
RF, that picture was a model of compliance compared to what I cut out! But, joking aside, this is what most domestic sparks encounter on a daily basis.

Green/yellow tape? Is it being done by the occupants or the local handyman?

I have no idea what the tape wass supposed to achive.

From what I can gather it seems to be mostly done by the home owner who 'knows about electrics', but they have often moved on by time we get called in.

Sponsored Links
I just thought that green/yellow tape seemed an odd colour for a diyer to have, more like a pro/handyman?

I'm surprised there aren't more electrical fires

When I started my company, we emailed a few estate agent type people and offered them a PIR and landlord safety check (gas) service. Got a fair bit of work. But the trouble came when we would give the report to them and explain in writing what needed doing. Do you think any of the landlords were interested in spending money on remedial works? Of course not. We pretty much got fed up with people almost not believing what we'd found or just plain not giving a toss. With the PIR as has been said, it is a very involved time consuming job IF done correctly. There was almost not 1 property which didn't have some major defects. I sincerely believe you need to be in this game for a long time, ideally have your 2391 and actually have a consience to do a PIR correctly. I routinely come across some appalling testing work done by some big reputable firms in my area. Unfortunately many of these people use the old forget the IR test and invent the Zs readings. It's absolutely rife in the industry, so I think someone dedicated to doing a PIR correctly is always a good thing. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back