Before I blow up my hairdryer - please help with plug

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - is there anyone out there who can tell me which wire to put into which hole to change the English (three wires) plug on my electrical appliances to the two hole Greek plugs - I'm fed up with trying to locate the adapter every time I want to use the hair dryer or blender or dvd or lamp! Would prefer not to electrocute myself or blow up the hair dryer through trial and error!

Sponsored Links
What is the body of the drier made of? How many wires are there in the flex that goes into the plug? What colour are they? Can you see, somewhere on the body of the drier, a "double insulated" symbol (looks like two squares, one inside the other, and may be with the makers name, model number, amperage etc moulded in small characters underneath, or on a sticker)?

Hi John - (knight in shining) thanks for replying - yes it's got a moulded panel on the handle that says "Clairol appliance type D5160, 240 volt, there are three boxes, one square, one with an R in it and another with a D in a circle. And the case is rigid plastic - Called a Clairol Big Shot - industrial strength! - English plug on it only seems to have two wires though - a blue one and a brown one (which goes into the screw with the fuse attached. The Greek plug has two pins both with screws and then a central screw (without a pin but it does have a silver metal strap thing that shows on the outside? What I want to know is where in the Greek plug do I screw the Blue wire and where do I screw the brown wire? I would guess brown into the central screw without the pin (maybe it's some kind of earthing precaution) and the blue wire into either of the pin screws? - thank you so much for responding so quickly 'cause I'm beginning to frizz! - Kelsey

Does the Square have another Square inside it? That means "double insulated" and means the appliance does not require an earth.

The Brown and the Blue have to go to the pins of the plug.

If the plug does not have an "up" or "down" and can be inserted either way, then it does not matter which wire goes to which pin. If it does matter, I would expect the Greek plug to have some markings or colours by the pins to show which is which.

In UK plugs it is essental that the brown wire goes to the Phase pin (with the fuse) which may be marked "P" and the blue goes to Neutral "N" (UK plugs always come with a card explaining this).

The central screw on the Greek plug sounds like it is an Earth connection.
If the flex has three cores, the Green and Yellow would go here.

Sponsored Links
Hi John

You're a star thank you very much - will try it now and let you know - no reponse will mean I've gone up in a cloud of smoke!

Kelsey

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

YES - it all works, no scorched patches and better still no frizzy hair for tonight - hope you have a good evening too - many thanks - Kelsey

Back