Electrical Issues - Appliance blowing fuses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Pardon my ignorance but I am a bit of a novice when it comes to electrics and need some help!!!!

here it goes...I recently moved into a new house which has a utility room to house my fridge, washing machine and tumble dryer. To my annoyance there is only one single socket. Naturally, I plugged in a 13A extension to power all three appliances and the fuse blew on the extension and has done several times since if all appliances are running at the same time :)

I have done some research and found that you can buy single to triple socket converters (i.e. 1 gang to 3 gang socket) where you can connect wires from single socket to make a triple socket that screws in the back box of the single socket. This sounds great but noticed that they use a 13A fuse. Surely if all appliances are plugged in to this converter (in seperate sockets) the fuse will still blow on the converter? so what is the point? and why do they have a fuse when 2 gang converters do not? isnt this just another extension but wall mounted???????

I need some help fast :)

Sponsored Links
A washing machine and a tumble drier are usually capable of drawing something close to 13 Amps EACH - so it's not really surprising they pop a 13 Amp fuse if used together.

Each appliance should be plugged into it's own socket. There will always be a limit of 13 Amps on any plug-in adapter, since that's the design rating of the socket they plug into.

Multi-way adaptors and extension leads are really only meant to supply the plethora of low power devices that clutter our lives - things like phone and camera chargers, decorative lights, radios etc.

The answer is to install a seperate socket for each appliance.

Even a double socket for the washer and drier is not a good idea, as many double sockets are only rated at 20 Amps or so total load, not 2 X 13 Amps you might expect.

A double socket should be OK powering the fridge (a relatively light load) and either the washer or drier. You would still need an additional socket for the other appliance.

The limitation of the total load expected at one point was acknowledged with the introduction of triple sockets, hence the fuse limiting the total load that can be connected.

Your scenario highlights some of the shortcomings of the 'good old' British ring final circuit, where the original design concept expected the load to be evenly distributed around the ring, not concentrated at one point, which is what you have ended up with.

Your scenario highlights some of the shortcomings of the 'good old' British ring final circuit, where the original design concept expected the load to be evenly distributed around the ring, not concentrated at one point, which is what you have ended up with.

So 20 years ago, some bright spark thought that they would install a 20/15/16 Amp radial for a washing machine. He was dilligent in his work putting it on a seperate circuit.

Then along came the future. Tumble driers and dishwashers and all sorts.

Same problem wether ring final or not.

I dont say this as a proponent of ring finals, just that your comment does not make sence.

Either way, the supply and arrangement to the utility needs to be sorted out with rewiring that section.

Hi,

Thanks for your replies, you expertise is much appreciated. Unfortunately my expertise is in a different field so pardon my ignorance. So basically, the triple converter that I mentioned will not fix my problem I take it? You said that I would need separate sockets installed for each appliance? Would this use the existing wiring from the single socket or be a bigger job? Will I need an expert to solve it?

Sponsored Links
for now, use 1 appliance at a time in that area.

It will be free to get an electrician to come and give you a solution.

Get three quotes.

The circuit can be extended and additional outlets connected to your existing wiring, but further investigation would be needed.
The socket maybe part of a ring/radial circuit that will allow this additional work, but it could well be a spur that has been taken from the circuit, so you would not be able to add to this circuit as it stands. but alterations and reconfigurations are possible.
If you know little about electrics, it would be wise to call a competent electrician.

As above.

Those triple adaptors will not help at all as they are fused at 13A anyway the same as your extention lead is.

I dont say this as a proponent of ring finals, just that your comment does not make sence.
It makes perfect sense. It's not the circuit OPD that's operating, it's the local fuse, and it's the design of the traditional ring final which makes local fuses necessary.

OP
if it was me i would get a sparks to rewire the circuit properly either as a 30/32 amp ring main with seperate sockets for each appliance or a 30/32 amp radial circuit which would need 4mm cable rather than normal 2.5mm which would be ok as a ring

you can get converter sockets unfused but i would not recommend you do so in this case

be safe get a qualified guy in. or run the risk of a house fire from an overloaded circuit!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back